You expect me to wear that...I don't like it anymore..

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Sven, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Hi,

Have looked through google but can't quiet seem to find the answer. Hopefully someone here can assist...

Vanilla had a step in harness from about 9 weeks old, see type (https://www.doog.com.au/collections/doog-harnesses-new/products/doog-harness-toto?variant=7671308481)

She has been OK allowing us to put this on while she sit. She is now 19 weeks, nearly 20, but over the last 2-3weeks she will back away from it. Getting worse as we go. We have tried to lay it on the floor with treats to allow her to approach it. Just touching it on her back while giving treats, but backs away. Have even tried to show it her, lay it on the ground with treats. Then removing it and coming back 10 or so minutes later. Once it is on, she will sit for the lead to be put on and then take it to the front door and wait.

She seems to be OK while out on both the walking lead or the training lead. One thing I have noticed is that the clasp on the back and rings where the lead is attached will move to the side if she pulls to much or the training lead gets to wet. Other thing I was thinking was that the adjustment buckles are irritating her on where they are located, but the all harnesses seems to have that.
    Also thought was there something she did not like when she wore it once or stressed her out, but can't really think of anything. Unless the trip to the vet where she had to stay in for the day, but she was OK after that for a few days (from memory).

Last resort is to buy a new one and start again, but just wanted to know if anyone has come across this. All I could find was where they have never had one on before and have to get used to it, rather than not likeing after a while.

Thanks for any help..

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It's a bit of an odd design, isn't it. Having the buckle over the spine and then the kind of 'nutcracker' effect of the two rings... I'd probably ditch that harness and try something in a different style. I would say that your pup finds it uncomfortable.

In Australia check out Blackdogwear, who produce a number of harness styles. They're made from flat polycotton webbing and are soft and light. I use that brand.

3. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Thanks Oberon. Will have a look and go and try one. Thought that might have been the case, but as they tend to just put up with it it makes it hard to understand them at times. Especially being the first pup we have.

See how we go with a new one..

4. Oberon

I think it's worth trying something different...

Some dogs just don't seem to love harnesses. But don't give up just yet...they really are the best and safest thing to walk a dog in - very hard to wriggle out of and minimal risk of injury if the dog lunges or pulls.

5. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Me too. I like that the material is nice and soft on your hands too (the leads are made from the same material as collars/harnesses). The ROGZ lead would burn my hands if Ella pulled or lunged.

6. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Our last Lab hated step-in harnesses. She was OK with anything that went over her head and fastened underneath. Maybe that's the problem here?

7. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Have had a look at their website. Looks good, but a few different designs depending on what you want. That is pretty good. Will ring round here to see if any of the independent shops sell them, if not will order one online.

Thanks for the help.

8. Emily

Emily Registered Users

They do have a list of shops that supply their stock. It's definitely somewhere on their website :)

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie hates all harnesses. Betsy is pretty unimpressed too - I keep asking myself if it's something I'm doing with them! Slightly comforted that Barbara's Obi didn't look altogether thrilled with his, either....and Fiona's Willow and Shadow don't love them....

Dunno, beginning to think dogs not loving them is pretty common.

I'm now putting Betsy's harness on to feed her meals - this does seem to be helping. As does sitting on the floor with her to put it on.

10. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I think looming over the top of them to put harnesses on makes them uncomfortable, definitely. I always put mine on from the side.

Shadow, I know, doesn't like how it feels, as he shakes a lot to start off with. He settles down after a while, as he gets used to it. It doesn't matter if it's done up loosely or tighter. Willow doesn't do this, but both of them will shut down when the harnesses are first put on. They will brighten up once we're outside, but I've noticed that there is a subtle difference in their attitude when training in them.

I still think they're invaluable for young puppies for safety, though. I only use mine now when I think I'm putting them into a situation where they might pull, as I don't want the strain on their necks, but this isn't very often at all these days.

11. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Cooper and Tilly have the Easy Walk, which you put on over the head and then buckle underneath. They are new to both dogs, but they both seem "OK" with them. Tilly would never complain anyway, but Cooper who is not happy about being brushed etc. will sit still for the harness, perhaps because she knows it means going for a walk. We have never had a problem putting collars, life jackets, packs or harnesses on either dog. (Cooper has not had a pack yet) All of those things are associated with doing things they want to do, so maybe that helps a lot.

12. Oberon

Neither of my dogs have been at all bothered by harnesses. Obi has a very chunky car harness and he puts his head through the front and then lifts his feet so they can be put through the holes. I see a lot of dogs with harnesses at our dog club (all Flyball dogs wear them) and I've never come across a dog that objected to a harness. Obviously there are dogs who do object (hence this thread! :) ) but I think it's a small minority and not the norm. Most do not mind.

(Not like head halters which many dogs do not take to readily (based on my observation)).

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

The thing is, if you saw Charlie wearing his harness, you wouldn't think there was anything wrong with him. Indeed he would look like a normal, even well behaved, Labrador. It's only because I can see the difference between what he is like with and without the harness that I know there is something wrong.

14. Oberon

Sure, the signs can be subtle. But wasn't he a bit more obvious about not liking it in the early days of introducing the harness to him?

I have seen a lot of dogs introduced to harnesses for the first time when starting Flyball and they have all taken to it without any visible fuss. But I definitely do buy the idea that dogs do not like to wear stuff on their bodies (e.g. Obi likes having his collar taken off). We gotta put something on them for identification and safety though...out of all the options I think that harnesses come out on top.

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh yes, one of the reasons I bang on about it (probably far too much! :D ) is I would love to have both my dogs in harnesses all the time. I definitely think they are the best, and I wish I knew how to get Charlie to love his harness. I've got him to tolerate it now so I can use it if I absolutely must do so.

He was fine at first wearing the harness, but it quickly became obvious that he didn't want it on, yes. With Betsy, I was more careful (I thought perhaps I hadn't taken enough care over introducing the harness to Charlie) and went through quite a rigmarole having her stick her head through for turkey and feeding her in it etc. But she doesn't like it being fastened up now, so I am doing some more work around the click of the fastening. I don't know it's that though...