Young Kaeda is growing up

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by alaperriere, Dec 29, 2014.

1. alaperriere

alaperriere Registered Users

Hello forums,

Its been awhile since my last post. Kaeda is now 4 months old and steadily getting bigger and smarter. She's pretty well potty trained now, and the only downside with her is that she wants to go out too often!

She is now crate trained and spends any time we are out in the crate, and at night. She actually doesn't mind anymore, and knows that around 10:00 the humans are going to bed and she goes to her crate to chew her toys or a bone. She has her pee and is informed she is going to "fais dodo" (My parents were french) and she will go all by herself up the stairs and into her sleeping crate.

She is fully vaccinated and we've been to the dog park about 6-7 times. Her confidence is way up since our visits, she was petrified of the other curious dogs, and now is bolting around the park trying to get other dogs to play and chase her. Some of the older dogs don't want anything to do with her buzzing around.

[​IMG]

She is learning her boundaries. She terrorizes our cats. She steals socks to eat. But if those are our main complaints we have a pretty great dog. She can sit/shake a paw/lie down/ sit "up"/Stay/come and we are working on walking on the lead without pulling, although that is a battle.

She's great in the car, and she was amazingly good during our busy Christmas visits with family. I am really looking forward to watching the dog grow up, and would appreciate any advice you guys have for a 4 month old puppy and teething.

[​IMG]
    Thanks for reading

2. WillowAndLottie

WillowAndLottie Registered Users

Re: Young Kaeda is growing up

So cute :)

Well done on getting that far! You must've worked really hard. I've currently got 2 seven month old labs, one of which is black too.

Sock eating wise, the best remedy is don't leave them around! Our two have stopped doing it but I'm not sure if that's because we've got more vigilant or they've lost interest :p

She sounds lovely, you've got the teenage bit ahead and then you'll have a great family lab! just keep doing what you're doing!

Jess

3. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Teething can vary but I am guessing it's a specific concern at the moment. My puppy enjoyed chewing cardboard boxes and empty drink bottles ( like coke). She also will love to chew frozen kongs. I bought lots of chew toys but it was hit and miss as to what she could really get her teeth into. At that age she was also still chewing my fingers and arms; I had to explain to my students that it was the puppy in case they thought I was self harming which was no joke.
    With chewing or boredom or too much energy, the trick is to have a few things to switch to. I would do 5 mins play in the garden or 5 mins simple sit clicker training or just do a short walk to the main road to sit and watch the traffic or see who would say hello. All those worked when she was being a nutter, a bit like distracting a toddler. Best wishes for the new year 8)

4. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Bouncer is realy suffering with teething at the moment, if you look in his mouth he looks like a shark, baby teeth & adult ones showing as well.

Anything frozen will ease the pain & distract him, Frozen Kongs, Frozen Rope Toys & even just an ice cube now and again (Bouncers favorite).

5. alaperriere

alaperriere Registered Users

[quote author=WillowAndLottie link=topic=9269.msg133137#msg133137 date=1419875912]

Sock eating wise, the best remedy is don't leave them around! Our two have stopped doing it but I'm not sure if that's because we've got more vigilant or they've lost interest :p

[/quote]

I swear she finds them out of thin air!

[quote author=Leanangle link=topic=9269.msg133163#msg133163 date=1419882566]

Anything frozen will ease the pain & distract him, Frozen Kongs, Frozen Rope Toys & even just an ice cube now and again (Bouncers favorite).
    [/quote]

Thanks for the advice, she's not too bad right now, but she is coming up to that age when its going to be a problem.

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

[quote author=Leanangle link=topic=9269.msg133163#msg133163 date=1419882566]
    Bouncer is realy suffering with teething at the moment, if you look in his mouth he looks like a shark, baby teeth & adult ones showing as well.

[/quote]

Ice cubes are fabulous, although they inevitably end up under the furniture :mad:

Now the pups can go outside and dig up their own iceballs, it's even more fun. You step in a puddle and wonder why they've started going to the loo in the house again before you realise :)