10 month Lab night time waking at 2-3am and often not for toileting

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Philip Howard, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Philip Howard

Philip Howard Registered Users

Hi. We’ve a 10 month English Lab bitch who wakes every night and whines, then barks. She is not crated but has her own room with a gate. She had elbow surgery 4 months ago and still limps, so she’s unable to get exhausted like other puppies. We walk each evening where she does a poo and wee. We put her out before bed for a wee about 10-11pm. We’ve tried ignoring her, and come down to a poo when she finally barks. We don’t engage with her if we come down to let her out. If she doesn’t go out straight away, we close the door and she goes back to her settee. A couple of strokes and she’s snoring again for an hour or so, unless someone sleeps on a settee with her when she sleeps to 0530. Getting another dog isn’t an option as hoomanmum has arthritis and would struggle with two dogs. The sleep deprivation is killing us, especially as I never get back to sleep. Being in our late 50s means we don’t have the reserves that we had in our 20s when the children did similar. Any help or ideas appreciated. Thanks, Philip and Connie

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

I am sorry to hear of your plight.
    Some questions.
    I take it that her injured elbow prevents her from sleeping in a crate in your upstairs bedroom? If so, is it possible to move to a downstairs bedroom while you teach her to sleep in a crate? If she sleeps near you, then a gentle word of attention may be all you need to get a much better night's sleep.
    How long has she been doing this? Was she settled before she injured her elbow?

One observation. Mental stimulation will tire her out as well. I would start teaching her scent training. Try to tire her mentally rather than physically.

CeeCee likes this.
  3. Moose

Moose Registered Users

I have a 10 month old black Lab and she has me up nearly every night between 4 and 5 am. She does want to go out so i dont blame her but i just wish she would sleep just till 6. I have tried going to bed really late and also trying to wear her out a bit more before bed, but nothing works. I am asking myself, Is it a habit now ?