1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

10 month old lab won’t walk on a leash

Discussion in 'Dog Training: Principle and Practice' started by Bal, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Bal

Bal Registered Users

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to train a 10 month old Labrador to walk properly on a leash, as he gets very excited and does not listen at all when outside. If anyone knows any dog trainers that are able to teach my dog to walk on a leash near the Reading area please let me know. Thank you

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi @Bal

Can't help you with trainers in Reading. (@Jo Laurens do you have any contacts? )

Could you please let us know whether she will walk on a loose lead around your backyard/lounge-room when there are no distractions?

3. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

I think firstly, it's important to make sure you've got effective equipment to be able to retain control over him. This, with a strong and powerful dog, would for me be a Freedom harness - with a view to moving to a Y-front harness once you've got some control working for you.

Then, take a look at the APDT.co.uk website for a list of trainers in your area. I think Sarah Whitehead might also have trainers around there. And the IMDT UK as well. Loads of options.