11 week old Lab puppy is very vocal - is this normal?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by IndytheLab, Jul 27, 2017.

1. IndytheLab

IndytheLab Registered Users

When I was younger, we had a family Lab who was near silent. Don't think she barked until she was about 4 years old and she'd never whine. She was once locked in the bathroom for a couple of hours and just sat patiently waiting to get out.

My wife and I now have a Lab puppy and she is the complete opposite. She barks for attention, she barks at the fireplace, she barks at her toys. She whines and grumbles a lot - seemingly at nothing a lot of the time! She will be lying down and start grumbling/growling under her breath seemingly at nothing at all.

My wife and I are worried that this could by a symptom of something - perhaps she is in pain or discomfort? Has anyone else had any experience with vocal Lab puppies? We play with her a lot so although it could be from boredom it's not like we never interact with her.

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It starts in the nest!

My friend has a litter of eight Lab puppies and one of them is really vocal. He squeals and squeaks in his sleep, when feeding and when playing.

Most Guide Dogs are really quiet but I know one who 'talks' through meetings! His owner says 'ignore him, he's the most vocal dog I've ever known!'

:)

3. IndytheLab

Hey Boogie, thanks for your input! I guess it's normal then? It's only started these last 3 - 4 days. Hopefully she'll grow out of it!

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

She's sent me a video - he makes these noises all the time!

MF, Harley Quinn and selina27 like this.
  5. IndytheLab

Haha yes that sounds like our Indy!

6. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Yes I have a vocal girl. She even has a bark that almost sounds like "mum" she will use it if she wonders where I am and wants to go in the garden!! We have a bit of a joke in our house that as she is a girl she has loads to say and always has to have the last word, our last lab who was male very rarely made a sound. He was such a gentle boy.

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

My dog Obi is extremely vocal. He has a repertoire of sounds that I'd never heard from a dog before. Moans, grumbles, squeaks, Humpback whale impressions, Wookiee noises, an extensive range of barks, whines... He basically talks. All the time. He's 5...

My first Labrador was quiet as a mouse.

MF and Johnny Walker like this.
  8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Yep Rory is a bit of a drama queen. I don't think theres any situation he won't comment on loudly. He does make lots of weird noises. Loudest and most opinionated lab I've ever had and he was as a pup. Very funny very silly

MF likes this.
  9. 4theloveoflabs

4theloveoflabs Registered Users

My fiancé grew up with a lab that never barked... our 11 month old found his "voice" when he was about 4 months... he barks in the yard, at the door, or when he wants something

10. Dalliance

Dalliance Registered Users

My previous Black Lab Ebony did not bark until she was at least 3 years old and even after that she very rarely did so , however she was a "grumbler" and would grumble under her breath when she wanted something and sometimes when you talked to her it was as if she was saying "yeh I know" .
    Now Bella on the otherhand my current 2 year old Black lab is a totally different story ...she found her voice when she was around a year old and barks at the garden gate at strangers walking past , barks and growls when someone comes to the door . Barks at the neighbours cat when she sees it in our backgarden , barks at birds etc in the garden , in general she barks at the drop of a hat .
    The difference between the two dogs is like chalk and cheese , Ebony would quite happily lay in the back garden and let cats walk past her but woe betide a cat going anywhere near our garden with Bella on duty ! lol

11. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Axel is the most vocal dog I've ever known. You always know what he's thinking... :rolleyes:

12. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

Oh my. This video caused much head cocking and puzzled expressions from Harley. :)

13. IndytheLab

Hey guys, thanks for all your comments! Glad to know we're not alone in this. So far since I have gotten home from work, she has barked at a house plant, the fireplace, me and the window!

14. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hehe. Hope the plant isn't traumatised.

You do come to really appreciate the quiet times.... Like when they're asleep :rolleyes:

15. deadandchocolatey

deadandchocolatey Registered Users

The breeder we got our Stampy from warned us from the beginning that he was "a bit of a talker". He's much better now at 8 months, but god forbid we get a visitor who doesn't say hello to him within 3 seconds upon arriving... incoming tantrum!!

Most dogs I've met bark like loonies when they're young, and settle with time :)

16. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

I think some of the noise comes from socializing them or not early on. Duggan is fine with everthing in his environment but will bark once or twice at something new until we show him it's okay. He did go through a phase where he barked for attention until he realized it didn't work. Just the other day he barked at my boat because I tilted it up to drain rain water....as soon as I put the bow back down he was okay with it again. Some bark more than others but there's always a reason why they do.

17. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Rory doesn't bark at stuff he hurrmpps sighs growns mumbles and squeals he barks a lot less than my deaf dog. His Wookie squeals are truely silly.even when he gets in the sofa for a lie down he does a grungy moan to show how comfy he is.he also crys with excitement

18. Lozzz31

Lozzz31 Registered Users

Ziggy rarely barks - sometimes at his reflection or sometimes if he gets frustrated - but he can't walk past the wine rack without giving it a good telling off!

MF and selina27 like this.
  19. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley barks in the garden as she can hear things but can't see due to 6ft tall fences. She will bark when people come to the house but generally stops within in minute or two. She barks at strange things she hasn't seen before.
    My neighbours lab whines and whines. He rarely ever barks, but does make some really weird noises.

20. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Ella is very vocal :rolleyes:

Barking, whinging, groaning, moaning, growling, loud whale yawns (not stress related) and goodness knows what else. It can drive you mad at times o_O