11 weeks

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by PaulaG, Nov 23, 2015.

1. PaulaG

PaulaG Registered Users

So, is 11 weeks about right for the crazy pup stage to begin?

We're definitely seeing more energy from Jake, he's starting to play harder and longer now, and he's driving poor Misty up the wall. We've started doing some training with him, just "sit" (which he's now offering at meal times and for toilet break treats) and started on "lie down". Should we be doing more, like recall? We play the beginnings of fetch inside and outside, we play tugs in short spells, but we're seeing over excitement creeping in so trying to stop games before we reach this point. It's not us that gets the brunt of his excitement, it's poor Misty, he seems to understand us stopping and ignoring him better than Misty's growls and attempts at driving him off.

She does tell him off, but he doesn't take a telling off her, he just comes back for more. Is this normal puppy behaviour, should he not understand she's telling him to leave her alone? We're stepping in when he's really over the top, as he's now started jumping on her as he's slightly taller than her now. He's started barking in her face an awful lot too, but Misty is deaf so she doesn't react unless he start biting or jumping on her. Will he out grow this, or is there something else we should be doing. He seems to adore her, and loves to cuddle in with her when he's tired, but as he gets bigger I'm worried he might hurt her, especially as she has a neurological condition.

Any thoughts on him and his behaviour towards Misty? And what games can we do to tire him out mentally at this age? He gets fed from his Slo bowl, or a treat ball, he has lots of different toys, which we rotate, both chew toys and soft squeaky ones. As I said we're doing short training sessions too.

Up to this point we remain quite unscarred, he did rip a small hole in OH's PJ bottoms, but the only time we're suffered wounds up to now is when he grabs for a toy and meets skin instead, hopefully his aim will improve :rolleyes:

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh yes! It builds up to about 20 weeks then, after that, just comes back in bursts. Once all their big teeth are in the crocapup soon becomes gentle mouthed - but then the chewing of things, rather than people, starts in earnest!

Yes - they will keep on at older dogs, I make sure Tatze has her safe places to take herself to, where the pup is not allowed near.

Twiglet still does the 'barking in the face' thing (she's six months old) but I stop her every time (for my sanity as much as Tatze's!)

The do grow out of it - thankfully!!

You can do lots more training now - in fact it's easier to mentally tire them than physically. I would do 15 minute bursts to start with, then maybe join a puppy class?

3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Coco is 18 months and still has around 2 bouts of barking and nipping in Belle's face and at her legs a day. She snarls and snaps back, but Coco sees this as an invitation to play on. They have to be separated at this point, she is sent to he bed, he is good and won't approach her there. It's important the older dog has a place to go - She's 11 and has never been playful.

4. PaulaG

PaulaG Registered Users

Thanks.

Boogie How do you stop her barking at Tatze? We read not to give him attention for barking at us, so have not stopped him so far. Are the safe places something you have taught Twiglet to stay away from? At the moment Misty is at the otherside of a baby gate eating a pigs ear, she can't have food or treats in the same room as Jake anyway as she guards her food against other dogs.

We'll be joining a puppy class soon, he's in for his last injection on Saturday :)

edzbird Misty is the same, at 9 she has never played except with a ball, she was rescued from a puppy farm at 3 and I don't think she knows how.

5. PaulaG

PaulaG Registered Users

He's now booked in for his puppy class on the 10th of December :)

6. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Great, you will both enjoy them and will meet other people going through the same things as you and Jake are.

7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I have a signal, which is a shouted 'enough'. I started training it with very high value treats (smelly tripe sticks). Tatze was a lot younger when my last GD pup, Gypsy, was here - so we had a gate across the room. 'Enough' was the signal for the dogs to get either side of the gate. Now, with Twig, it's the signal for her to stop annoying Tatze.

I use a shouted 'enough' simply because I need to make them hear above the row(!).

I start by shouting 'enough' then luring them to where I want them to be, then giving the treat. It doesn't take long before they are keenly doing it. Then I lessen the value of the treats to fish biscuit cubes over time (weeks) and eventually just give a piece of kibble with very occasional tripe sticks. It works, they are ever hopeful!

With Twiglet I taught her, from the moment she arrived, that she couldn't touch Tatze once Tatze was on her chair or in her crate. She now totally respects that and doesn't even try. (she's 6 months old now). Tatze dives for her chair when she's had enough.

I was a bit later starting with Gypsy and so it took longer to teach - but worth it!

Here is a video of it in action. You can see that Tatze is totally relaxed in the knowledge that she is free from puppy harassment! This is important as we have a puppy every year, I want her happy.

http://vid1106.photobucket.com/album...py%20again.mp4