11 year old lab is aggressive

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by gatorbaby, Aug 23, 2013.

1. gatorbaby

gatorbaby Registered Users

I have an 11 year old lab that has recently become aggressive with myself and my husband. He is most aggressive at night and will bark, growl, show his teeth and raises his hair on his back. The vet said he has cataracts and is going blind. The vet has told us that it is going to get progressively worse and we will have to put him down. Could this be the reason for the aggression and is putting him down my only option. Thanks for your help

2. gatorbaby

Re: 11 year old lab is aggressive

Sorry my lab has catarcts not glaucoma and he pants all the time. The vet can not give me a resson for the panting so we just deal with it.

3. Lucylab

Lucylab Registered Users

Hi, my 13 year old has cataracts too and is finding it difficult recognising us, if someone comes into the house and they're at a distance away she freaks out and barks like mad, she also pants heavily day and night, I'm in the same situation as you and with her other issues are thinking of the route of having her put to sleep, I'm waiting to speak to the family tonight so I understand what you're going through however it's only you who can decide, if your vet thinks it time then as hard as it is I would listen to him.

Thinking of you xx
    Rachel

4. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Oh dear, this is a hard one. I don't have any advice except to say your vet is obviously worried about this and so you should be, too. I assume there isn't anything else that could be causing this?? Does it help if you leave some lights on so he can see better?

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Gatorbaby, I wonder if there is something else going on with your dog that may be unrelated to the cataracts but that is causing the panting and maybe also some pain and therefore what looks like aggression? I'm just speculating.... Cataracts alone are usually something a dog can cope with and adjust to.

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Sorry you are both having trouble with your labs.
    My immediate thought was is the agression reflecting pain or distress. But I wonder if maybe wearing something jangly whilst inside in particular might help with orientating a dog with poor vision?
    My own preference would be jangly coins (but I have a bit of a thing for belly-dancing :eek: ) but what about wearing a small bell - do you think that could help?
    I would have to be guided by the vet though if it was me. Not sure what the panting might indicate :(
    jac

7. gatorbaby

Thank you for all the replies. I truly appreciate it. The panting has been going on for the last 2 to 3 years and the aggression just started a couple of months ago. So far he has not been aggressive toward anyone other than myself and my husband, more so towards my husband. I am so at a loss for what to do. He has been my baby boy since he was 6 months old. He has a hard time getting up and down because of his hips but that has been going on for a while and can't imagine that is the problem. Thank you all again for your replies. I wish you well with your baby Rachel I know you have a hard decision in front of you as well. My heart goes out to you.

8. gatorbaby

Lisa we have left the lights on and it doesn't help matters. My husband can just talk to him and and try to pet him and he acts like he is going to attack him. We thought maybe if he heard our voice it would make it better but that didn't work. The vet thinks he is getting senile because of the way he is acting, I just don't know how the vet determines that.

9. Oberon

Unfortunately, senility is a possibility. Dogs can suffer from mental conditions and diseases that are similar to ours (e.g. anxiety conditions) including the doggy equivalent of Alzheimer's. If all other explanations have been ruled out, it's a diagnosis that warrants considering. :(

10. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I can't help with any practical advice as I have'nt got the experience....my initial reaction was to think he was scared because he is losing his sight....it must be very upsetting for you and I feel for you as you try to process it all.
    Best Wishes
    Angela

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh dear, so sorry you have come to the forum with this sad problem...

My very old lab/spaniel cross Billy used to put his hackles up - it turned out he had a rotten tooth and a lot of pain. But in your case it does sound as though your old boy may be suffering from doggy dementia :(

It's a horrid choice facing you - lots of support from me, and welcome to the forum.

12. gatorbaby

Thanks to everyone for your support. We have a big decision ahead of us and I am so torn. Last night he had one of his episodes. i went to bed and he laid on the foot of the bed. My husband came to the bedroom door which is about 5-10 feet from the bed to talk to me and he immediately started growling loudly, raised his hair on his back and would not take his eyes off my husband. My husband was ready to close the door if he jumped at him. I just don't know what to think of this behavior.

13. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Really sorry to read of your dilema , its very sad for you . It sounds like fear aggression , due to the loss of sight where he feels vulnerable and anxious . Hoping that you and your husband can talk this through and I`m sure will do whatever is best for your boy x

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

So sorry for you, I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you during this heart breaking time. You will know what to do I am sure of that. Lots of hugs and support to you all. Helen x :'(

15. Oberon

Gator, where is your Lab being aggressive? Is it only in the house/on your property? I'm thinking that he doesn't always recognise you and your husband (possibly due to dementia) and then that leads to a fear episode at the 'strangers' in his home. I am thinking that there may be more to it than a loss of perception and that dementia may be involved as well because he doesn't appear to recognise you even when he can have the opprtunity to sniff or hear you. But I'm also wondering if you think he might be deaf as well - do you think that might be the case? Still, even if he is deaf, he probably should still be able to identify you by scent, but, from what you are saying, he remains upset even when you and your husband get close to him.

16. gatorbaby

Oberon he is aggressive in the house at night and sometimes first thing in the morning. In the bedroom at night after he has laid down to go to sleep is when he is most aggressive. It is mostly with my husband and we will turn the light on so he can see better and my husband will talk to him or want to pet him and he will immediately start. I don't believe he is completely deaf but I think he has some loss of hearing. Is there a test that can be done for dementia or does the vet just guess by symptoms. The thing is he is fine throughout the day and hasn't been aggresive but sometimes you see a look in his eye that makes you wonder. Thank you so much for your input.

17. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I`m just wondering, if it were to be a sort of glaucoma, this can be very sensitive to light and also very painful and you mentioned putting on the light which made him worse ? I would certainly take him back to the Vet for a second opinion .
    Re dementia in dogs and cats , can only speak re my old cat who began to act in a very bizarre way, showing fear at things she wasnt usually afraid of . She wouldnt be in the same room as the dogs whereas she had previously been friendly with them, she would stare into space for long periods of time and make a growling noise . I dont think there is a test for dementia in dogs, but just a diagnosis made given symptoms . I feel for you .

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

So sorry to hear about the trouble with your boy. I don't have any experience or insights to offer, but just wanted to say I can appreciate how distressing this must be.

Licks and hugs from me and Charlie.

19. Oberon

[quote author=kateincornwall link=topic=2345.msg22513#msg22513 date=1377410528]
    I dont think there is a test for dementia in dogs, but just a diagnosis made given symptoms .
    [/quote]
    Yes, that'd be my assumption too.

I agree that another vet visit is worthwhile. It'd also give you the opportunity to talk more with the vet about why s/he thought that dementia might be possible and what the best course of action might be.

I'm sure that it is really, really difficult seeing all this happen to your beloved dog :( Thinking of you.

20. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there,
    So sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

Sadly, it does sound as though he may have dementia, and is at times unable to recognise the people that he loves. Blindness alone would not normally cause this kind of reaction as blind dogs use their other senses to identify family members. I also think another chat with your vet is a good idea, I believe that a diagnosis of dementia is based on observations of the dog's behaviour and exclusion of other possibilities, rather than there being any definitive test.

Pippa