15 weeks today!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Wendy68, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Izzy is now 15 weeks, and it feels like we have had her forever! I feel we have come a long way with her, but still have a long way to go too.
    Toilet training is better but still have bad days. Biting is better which I put down to her interaction with our other dog, which also helps with keeping her occupied and using up all her excess energy. Training is on going, recall not bad, but we haven't gone anywhere public yet off the lead, only walking on our land. Car sickness has become a bit of a problem, when going to my dads(45mins). Jumping up a problem. Eating furniture, beds, in fact most things is a problem too.
    Now I've started a new job she's going to be left a lot more so we shall see how she deals with that, even though Archie is in the same room as her cage.

2. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

Re: 15 weeks today!

Izzy sounds like a pretty typical 15 week old....learning boundaries and testing limits.

Sorry about the car sickness thing....I've not had that issue with a dog before, so have no helpful advice there...but think I would start with a going on an empty stomach plan. Is it nerves and anxiousness do you think?

Hope your training continues to go well, and that you have a good plan for your going back to wrk and Izzy will have some daytime breaks while you are out.

3. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Luckily I'm only working part time and its afternoons, and my partner is home at 3 each day, so she will only be left a couple of hours. The car thing is strange... She has breakfast at 7 am and I go to my dads at around 11 ish and its always when we are 5 minutes away from his house. And it's her breakfast she brings up. I may stop taking her and just try short trips in the car for awhile.

4. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Ahhhhhh bless her. Bella hasn't been car sick so not sure what to suggest esp as she's eating quite a few hrs before. My mum was told to give her dog a ginger biscuit and that appeared to help?, Bella's actually really good in the car, sits nicely then goes to sleep. How does izzy travel? Crate or harness? Bella currently has a harness attached to the seat belt and sits on the passenger seat next to me , although she'll soon be moving onto the back seat.....She weighed in at 11.2kg today!!!!!

Bella likes to pull my hair (that hurts!) , and also bites my toes ....pulls off my slippers and socks.... And has started to do it to guests after a few hours ... But she's getting much better re toiling ( had me up twice in the night again tho ...poor tummy) , sleeping better , making great friends at puppy club and is just too gorgeous for her own good!! ;D

5. Incastinker

Incastinker Registered Users

Inca suffered from car sickness to begin with and journey duration was the key factor. The problem then developed as every time she was sick she became more anxious about travelling so it became a bit of a vicious circle. I didn't really know what to do to begin with because I have only ever know dogs that love going in the car! I would stick to shorter journeys just now if you can and build up positive associations with the car. We have a very laid-back vet who told us she would grow out of it and not to worry too much about it and I think he was right. We haven't done any special training in the car with her but at 4.5 months she was happy to drive the 6 hours down to Yorkshire and we haven't looked back since.

We were also advised to keep a car window slightly ajar to begin with as young puppies ears are not fully developed and opening a window balances the air pressure. It seemed to help a bit as did feeding half a ginger biscuit 30 mins before travelling. I like the Nairns ginger oatcakes as they contain stem ginger.

Hope Bella travels better before long. It's really distressing when you know it is making them ill. Good luck!