17 weeks old puppy - mouthy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Julesuk, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Julesuk

Julesuk Registered Users

Our 17 week old puppy is still a bit bitey. She will automatically mouth when we put collar on, go to stroke/examine her face and when drying her with a towel. Her teeth are starting to fall out now but should we be upping the training to stop her at this point? She is a bit grabby in training too, snatches the treats etc. She caught my husbands hand this morning as he was trying to move her bed.
    Should we still expect her to be a bit mouthy at this age? I feel like we should be more past this grabby stage but also have definitely not given her credit for things and forgetting how young she is. We are doing training classes and doing stuff with her like collar training and treating when she lets us do her collar and harness without nibbling first.
    I’ve also tried getting her to hold a toy whilst we do things like towel dry her, put collar on but she just drops it and wants our hands. From the start we have always tried to replace our hands with toys or walk away etc but still she is mouthy.

2. Sukhpreet Aujla

Sukhpreet Aujla Registered Users

My pup was the same when it came to collar and harness so I gave her a treat after putting each one on and she soon stopped biting, with the harness she sometimes used to back away so I held a treat in a way she had to put her head through to get it. For the drying with a towel I use a lick mat, you can get ones that stick to the side of the bath as well I use those and she's so busy licking away I'm not sure she notices either the water pouring over her or the towel drying after.