18 weeks old and eating poo

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Deejay50, Sep 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Deejay50

Deejay50 Registered Users

I hesitate to raise this in polite company, but there it is. Ted has discovered a liking for other dogs' poo in the street and in the park. It is the one time he will not respond to "Leave". I'd been really pleased that we had "leave" off to a T, now this. He will not be distracted from it, on or off the lead. This morning during whistle recall (which has gone perfectly so far), I didn't realise he was eating poo when I whistled and he didn't respond, so now I worry how that will affect future whistle recall work. Any ideas about this poo eating?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

It's perfectly normal - see this article for more info: http://www.thelabradorsite.com/why-dogs-eat-poop-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/

Of course, we don't have to like it, and training your leave it is a good way to go. It sounds like you have a good foundation with that, but you need to proof it more, against even tastier things. Only when you know your dog can leave a warm roast chicken sat on the floor, dribbling with juicy goodness, with a side order of fillet steak, can you say that your "leave" is 100%. Yeah, we're not there yet :D

Jude likes this.
  3. Jude

Jude Registered Users

Judy did this the other day and it made me gag for a full minute. She's happy to leave some poo but not others... and is very interested in fox poo. What I've realised I can do if she's off lead, is run away from her fast (as fast as I can run anyway). She's 18-19 weeks and wants to be close to me off lead so if I start running, she follows pretty quickly.

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Do your best to lure him away from it - nice smelly tripe sticks usually work. Most of them grow out of it.

Tatze used to adore horse poo, she just sniff it now.

5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I did find a pair labs one about 6 months and one 11 bouncing a round on my bed eating cat poo and spitting the litter everywhere. It was charming. Luring and leave it are great don't let it become a habit as harder to stop then

6. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Read some of Snowy's posts about poo eating. Snowy is the poo eating king. :D

jessieboo likes this.
  7. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Aren't they gross but lovable! My boy thinks fox poo is the dogs biscuits! The fresher the better :puke: and of course he has to roll in it first to check its freshness :puke::puke:. Hotdog sausages and roast chicken are the only things better apparently - so I go on walks with pockets stuffed with both. Can distract from the eating but need to be quicker to stop the rolling...work in progress!

8. SwampDonkey

Moo found a dead decomposing Fox. The only reason I managed to stop her rolling in it was because of her indecision of whether she should roll on it or try to eat it

9. Millieboo

Millieboo Registered Users

I got the same problem, kinda.. I have to always guard the litter box if the door is open. Otherwise I got a dog standing eating my kittens poo. So growse, it makes me yuck in the whole body. Then of course it is the cows poo that the tractors kinda leave behind near the farm on the road she loves to try eat. I always try get her full attention with opening the treat bag and say look. I trained look very hard, for her it means to look in my eyes and she do it without hesitation while she is walking forward. We're slowly getting to not eating poo, it's just the litterbox now that is the big attraction lol

Deejay50 likes this.
  10. SwampDonkey

Sadly darling freyja Is no longer with us but it has cured the litter box problem. I think they still miss her she was top dog in this house

11. jessieboo

jessieboo Registered Users

Jessie was a big time poo eater/roller... But this has diminished now she is 10 months. I think a combination of growing up and our recall and "leave it" getting better. She had a good lick of a runny cow pat this morning:puke: but came away when called!

12. SwampDonkey

The only thlng that stopped moo has been old age and stiff joints .