2 days down, a million questions up!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Sally C, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Sally C

Sally C Registered Users

Hi everyone... AGAIN!

* !!!LONG MESSAGE ALERT!!!!*

I have few questions and am hoping you can help me out... Seren is my first puppy so I'm totally new at this game and have done as much reading/researching as poss but of course there's nothing like the real life pup to stump you!

Generally I think it's going pretty well? We've had no toilet accidents which is amazing, and he wees and/or poos everytime I pop him in his outdoors pen. First night I got up once to let him out, no whining. Last night I got up twice, and the second time after he was put back in his crate he whined like buggery for about 5 minutes then crashed out. He's sleeping next to my bed for the first 3 nights, so that was pretty tough hearing him go nuts like that, but so glad I resisted the urge to comfort him (or make him be quiet so I could sleep!!). Luckily he's never whined before needing a wee at night.

However, I have a few queries...

1 - when I pop him outside, I stay with him always. Sometimes I take him back inside straight after wee, other times I let him play/run around/chase me. His new favourite game however is... chewing the pen! Or chasing/eating leaves! Or digging and eating grass! I'm thinking I should get another pen like the Ellie Bo one I use inside as he doesn't chew that (much), but that would be much smaller than the one we knocked up out of stakes and plastic fencing. I am trying to divert his energy into toys or playing with me, but sometimes it just doesn't work and he just REALLY wants to stuff his mouth with grass or chew on the plastic gates... Any ideas how to overcome this?

2 - Bedding. No problems with bedding until last night. When he's lively/playful/frustrated he has started digging/tugging/chewing his bedding. I use vet bed and so far it's pretty durable. I have tried to divert this into his kongs, but again sometimes he just thinks attacking his bedding is WAY more fun. Any ideas? He was really ripping into it earlier, so when I finally got him distracted I took it out as was worried he might tear tufts off and choke. But I think that freaked him out a little bit as afterwards he wouldn't go back in his crate. So I put it back and now he's sleeping soundly.... not quite sure what is best to do here. How can you tell the difference between happy puppy playfulness and crazy puppy overexcitement? Is he getting overexcited and tearing at the bed or do all pups do this for play?! Finding it hard to tell...

3 - He is licking his nether regions A LOT and since yesterday evening has started rubbing his bum on the ground. Do you think this is worms? Maybe a slightly upset tummy? The woman I bought him from is a lovely woman, farmer's wife, and was feeding him weetabix and milk for treats which I'm not doing. I'm using her kibble and slowly introducing mine, bit by bit... perhaps this is making him a bit sick? I'm off to vets tomorrow for first jab and the next worming so I'm sure he'll advise me, but wondered whether any of you had similar issues?

4 - Good manners training. I'm not doing any sort of obedience training yet and won't do until he's settled and a bit older. However, from the get go I'm wanted to raise him the best I can... but it's really hard work! So far he is GREAT at sitting and looking at me for his meals, for getting out of his crate, and for *some* toys. I'm never responding to whining or scratching at the pen, and click when he sits/is quiet and then give him attention. However, his rope tug he snatches and jumps up at me to get it (I don't actually play tug with him though as I've been advised against this because of the collie in him). I've started standing up/ignoring him/not giving him the toy but is this a bit unfair at this stage? Should I just not show him the toy yet? I don't want to overload the poor wee fella with all these new rules. I feel that he might be getting frustrated at times... and I want to be able to bond with him and have fun with him, but at the same time I don't want to let him jump all over me and do whatever he wants? What did you all do with good manners training? Did you let some things slide initially while they're settling in?

5 - Grooming. This morning after food, wee and play I tried to give him a little groom. I showed him the brush, gave him a treat. Stroked him once, gave him a treat. Then he started growling and trying to grab the brush from me and got frustrated, as if I was teasing him. So I stopped! Wanted to just do three strokes and leave it at that but didn't go to plan. Should I just use my hands initially? How did you get your pups used to the grooming session and convince them the brush isn't a toy?!

6 - Puppies sleep A LOT, right?! Seren's routine is... wee....play... sleep...eat....wee...play...sleeeeeep and so on, sometimes with mini naps in between this. Totally normal, right?!

Apologies for all the questions! I'm learning so much already just from hanging out with him, and Pippa's book and this site is literally invaluable.

Any tips/experiences you want to share that might help please feel free!

Thanks so much
    S & S

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: 2 days down, a million questions up!

Here are my initial musings on a few things :)

2. It doesn't really matter if behaviour is stemming from exhaustion/overstimulation or not. You decide which behaviours are ok and which are not. Anything ok is in and can continue. Anything not ok is out and warrants some 'calm down' time. So, chewing on the sofa leg is not ok, whether it's being done in a calm fashion or in a frenzy. Jumping up is not ok, whether it's a friendly hello or a crazy leap. Running round the coffee table is not ok. Ripping up a toy is ok. These are just examples - it's up to you to decide what's ok and what's not.

3. Yep, could be worms. Definitely need to talk to the vet about it on your visit and about what your worming regime should be, which products, how often and why.

4. Your puppy is learning, every waking moment, whether you do anything or not about it. So be proactive about it. Decide what is in and what's not, and train your puppy to do the things that'll make him a good family member (eg lying on mat during meals, sitting for pats, waiting till food bowl is on ground, waiting to be helped out of the car...). Don't let things slide - start as you mean to go on. If it's a bit of an annoyance in a little puppy it's going to be a helluva pain in a 30kg dog :) It's ok to make rules. Just gently and consistently help your puppy to understand the rules by pointing out the behaviour you want and rewarding little steps made towards the goal. Honestly, it sounds like you are doing well at this already :)

5. What kind of brush? Would it have felt nice on his skin? You've got the basic approach right, for sure. But maybe tone it down a bit to make it an easy task for your pup. eg use the back of the brush and get him slowly used to the feel of that all over before you start to introduce bristles or spiky bits.

6. Puppies sleep a whole lot!! He sounds totally normal :)

You're doing great and have all the right intentions and the right approach :)

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

OK , here goes :) :)
    Seren sounds like a very typical pup to me , all pups tend to chew bedding , rugs , garden stuff etc . its part of growing up , but its down to us to let them know whats acceptable and what isn't ;) I found that distraction was the best tool so, when he is chewing, digging , whatever , remove him and give him a permitted item . I know that at times its like hitting your head on a brick wall but patience is the key and it will work out eventually . Things get a little easier when they can have longer walks and play time with other dogs, tiring themselves out in the process and less likely to wreck the home . Yes, by all means start the training right now, as you are doing , keeping sessions very short as a pups attention span is low , you don't want to have him get bored, but keep him keen, lots and lots of praise when he gets it right is the way to go .Don't try to teach too much , master one command before moving on to another , practice recall at every opportunity , garden and indoors too but to me, he sounds like a well balanced very normal pup , well done so far :) Oh yes, forgot , my dog hated being brushed as a pup , I just used the brushing action with my hands before gently and slowly introducing the brush , he now loves it x

4. Sally C

Sally C Registered Users

Thanks so much! It's so nice to hear that I'm doing all the right things.. it feels like a big responsibility and I just want to be a good owner and raise a lovely dog. I think I'm maybe a little sleep deprived....zzzzzz.... :eek:

With removal and distraction... if he runs to chew on the pen (which he does a lot) and I pick him up to move him away from that corner and give him an acceptable toy, and he just runs back to chew the pen, do I just keep repeating removal and giving toy, or do I just bring him inside and take him out of the pen completely? Inside he's confined in a puppy pen, and has a crate inside that, as I'm keeping cats and pup separate for a few days to give the cats chance to acclimatise. So outdoors time is his chance to run around a bit more freely, which I don't want to restrict too much. Should I just keep repeating removal-toy until he gets it/my brain falls out? I don't want to turn it into a game of - "Hey! When I chew the fence I kept picked up and get given a toy, let's do it AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!"

I will try grooming with hands, then back of brush, then soft brush and work my way up that way, slowly but surely. Perhaps it was a bit too bristly... thanks for tips :)

Thanks so much! Bet all you experienced pup owners are used to newbies like me posting HELP!!! :D

S & S

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

[quote author=Sally C link=topic=9664.msg139655#msg139655 date=1422275946]
    Thanks so much! It's so nice to hear that I'm doing all the right things.. it feels like a big responsibility and I just want to be a good owner and raise a lovely dog. I think I'm maybe a little sleep deprived....zzzzzz.... :eek:

With removal and distraction... if he runs to chew on the pen (which he does a lot) and I pick him up to move him away from that corner and give him an acceptable toy, and he just runs back to chew the pen, do I just keep repeating removal and giving toy, or do I just bring him inside and take him out of the pen completely? Inside he's confined in a puppy pen, and has a crate inside that, as I'm keeping cats and pup separate for a few days to give the cats chance to acclimatise. So outdoors time is his chance to run around a bit more freely, which I don't want to restrict too much. Should I just keep repeating removal-toy until he gets it/my brain falls out? I don't want to turn it into a game of - "Hey! When I chew the fence I kept picked up and get given a toy, let's do it AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!"

I will try grooming with hands, then back of brush, then soft brush and work my way up that way, slowly but surely. Perhaps it was a bit too bristly... thanks for tips :)

Thanks so much! Bet all you experienced pup owners are used to newbies like me posting HELP!!! :D

S & S
    [/quote]

Willow chewed a few things we didn't want her to at first - her favourite being walls! - and we eventually found that a bitter apple spray applied to the parts she was chewing worked really well. This is the one that worked best for us (after trying a couple) http://amzn.to/1CXGB4c. Other people have made their own concoctions, too.

She was also very shy when it came to being brushed. I just took it very slowly, just having the brush in my hand without touching her, clicking & treating, then putting it next to her paw, C&T, gently touching her with it, eventually working up to using the back of the brush and then, at last, giving her a little groom. She still doesn't really like it, but she does tolerate it and I hope with continued C&T she'll learn to relax with it more over time. Shadow, my other puppy, is a complete attention whore and rolls onto his back whenever he sees it ;)

Don't worry about asking lots of questions - I'm new to all this, too, and asked my fair share when I first had mine - and still do now. There's loads of great advice from very experienced people on here. I'm sure in just a few months you'll be dishing out your fair share of experience to newer members, too :)

6. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Are you in the UK?
    We found that the 'chew deterrent' from Pets At Home worked really well with Pongo for the furniture and curtains we didn't want him to chew.

Welcome to the forum!

7. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Seren was on my short list of names for my girl!
    3. Could be worms, the vet will set you right.

Will look at the rest of your questions later ::)

Glad it's going ok so far!

8. Jane Martin

1&2: cardboard boxes for chewing. Chepi (touch wood) has never chewed the furniture because she enjoyed shredding cardboard so much. I also got a spray of purpose made foul tasting stuff for dogs, should the need arise. After my burst pipe in the garden the plumber used expanding foam to fill a hole, which she couldn't resist so I used the spray on that.

9. Jane Martin

6: Yes, they sleep a lot and I definately think they should not be woken unless it's part of a plan to do the last toilet at night. Peace and quiet and a place of his own is important for sleep during the day as well as night. He must be a tired little boy with all that puppy play he is doing :)

10. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Sounds like you sure doing really well :)
    Harley is my first ever pup/dog so I know how you feel - it is overwhelming, but so rewarding. No question us stupid, believe me, I know ;)
    With brushing, Harley thought it was a game from day 1 - at 17 months she will let us brush her if one ores on brushes and other gives her treats! Not the best way, but works for us :)
    Good manners - keep in mind that Serenity will grow and be 29kg+, so think about what you think is acceptable at that size! Some things seem so cute when they are little, but are a nightmare when they get bigger!
    They do sleep a lot in the first few weeks, so don't worry :)

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Sally C link=topic=9664.msg139655#msg139655 date=1422275946]

[/quote]

Well, it sounds like the toy isn't good enough. Try keeping his attention on you, play with him, teach him something.

If that doesn't work, put him on a lead. It can be a long one. Or get rid of the pen....then he can't chew it. Or try putting something front of the bit he is chewing.

12. Sally C

Sally C Registered Users

Thanks so much everyone! Some really great ideas.

I am going to give the bitter apple/chew deterrent a go on the things that I just can't remove from him. Re pen, Julie T I think you're right about the toy - I have tried another one and that is helping somewhat, but then he gets bored of that... So I'm making time outside slightly shorter than I was beforehand but REALLY going for it for every second to make sure he's interested in me or toy. They're such flighty little things aren't they. I'm just about ready to click him when he comes to me after chasing me, then... "OH A LEAF!!!" and off he goes! I can SO see why it would be such a mistake to start using cues at this stage! He enjoys the chasing me bit tho for sure ;)

I've started using my finger tips/nails softly on him when we're cuddling and he's sleepy, to get him used to a brushing sensation.

I'm starting to write a list too of the things that I don't think are acceptable - did this before he arrived but they were all so obvious, so I'm popping new things down so me and boyfriend can be consistent.

I've got him used to wearing a collar pretty easily, just gives it the odd scratch every now and then. And tomorrow I'm going to get him used to the lead - any dos and donts for this first experience? Pretty sure he'll just want to eat it.

Jane Martin - I owe my sanity to you. When he started going nuts on his vet bed I gently clapped, quickly 3 times saying 'uh uh', when he stopped and looked at me I clicked and gave him a bit of cardboard. He was VERY happy with that. Made sure I watched him as I don't want him to choke, so won't ever leave him alone with it right now, but really worked a treat. Does it matter if they ingest any? Also, yes I love the word/name Seren as I'm half Welsh - plus gotta keep my ma happy :p

I LOVE THIS SITE!
    S&S x

13. Jo Parker

Jo Parker Registered Users

Sounds like you are doing great! It's hard work though isn't it!! We use lots of cardboard boxes for playing chewing and distracting. We use the bitter apple spray for chewing which works on the whole. Phoebe is 4 months and we have only just managed the brush!!! She would bite the brush / jump at the brush and run away. I started to use the clicker, initially just clicking when she let me touch her with it without biting it and then eventually one stroke of the brush for a click and treat. Now she lets me brush her although still she doesn't really like it!!! The clicker has worked wonders for quite a lot of things. We have had a real biting problem and I have used the clicker to get her used to me stroking round her head / face / mouth etc with a click and treat when she doesn't bite. Things seems to be starting to improve .......

14. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

[quote author=Sally C link=topic=9664.msg139805#msg139805 date=1422304829]
    I've got him used to wearing a collar pretty easily, just gives it the odd scratch every now and then. And tomorrow I'm going to get him used to the lead - any dos and donts for this first experience? Pretty sure he'll just want to eat it.
    [/quote]

Good work on the collar - Willow didn't like hers at all to start off with, but I put it on her at meal times and for training sessions and she soon got used to it. With the lead, absolutely don't pull on it at all - young puppies have very soft windpipes and throats and they can be damaged easily, so just let him walk around with it loose. Allow him to drag it without you holding onto it if you have an area you know it can't get snagged on anything. Sit on the floor and let him climb over you while wearing it - just allow him to get used to it. I got Willow used to basic heel work around the house and terrace without the lead before I did it with - then it's a lot easier as he'll already be used to following you. Start with a lure, but fade that quickly and just C&T for staying close. Change direction frequently and reward him for being with you :)

Jane Martin - I owe my sanity to you. When he started going nuts on his vet bed I gently clapped, quickly 3 times saying 'uh uh', when he stopped and looked at me I clicked and gave him a bit of cardboard. He was VERY happy with that. Made sure I watched him as I don't want him to choke, so won't ever leave him alone with it right now, but really worked a treat. Does it matter if they ingest any? Also, yes I love the word/name Seren as I'm half Welsh - plus gotta keep my ma happy :p
    [/quote]

Most of the people on this site are very much interested in purely positive training methods and with that methodology, you wouldn't use the "uh uh" to tell him he's done something wrong, simply praise the good stuff. I'm a first time puppy owner and I find it REALLY difficult not to use an "ah ah" sound when one of mine does something I don't want, but I hope someday to be capable enough to manage without! To get his attention, try making a fun noise instead - something high pitched and squeaky, or wave your arms etc. The first time I used "that voice" (as squeaky and excitable as I could manage), I ended up on the floor, being covered in puppy licks and gasping for breath through the laughter :D

Absolutely keep an eye on him with the cardboard. I don't think a small amount would do much bother if eaten, but you wouldn't want him to eat a lot of it. I guess it varies from dog to dog, but my two tend to just shred the boxes then leave the bits scattered around! Every now and then, they'll chew a bit, but it'll always be spat out again once they've mushed it up enough :eek:

I don't think they ever tire of the cardboard game!!

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

So I'm making time outside slightly shorter than I was beforehand but REALLY going for it for every second to make sure he's interested in me or toy. They're such flighty little things aren't they. I'm just about ready to click him when he comes to me after chasing me, then... "OH A LEAF!!!" and off he goes! I can SO see why it would be such a mistake to start using cues at this stage! He enjoys the chasing me bit tho for sure ;)

[/quote]

Hmm...I sort of meant only until he forgot about the fence...this sounds like a bit too much stress, and not enough fun! :) just have a bit of a game...

Can't you just make the garden safe and let him have whatever time he needs? If you have him in a crate and pen inside too....just create a barricade to stop him getting to dangerous stuff...and relax! :)

16. Sally C

Sally C Registered Users

Jo Parker - good to hear that you've made progress with the brushing, that's encouraging to hear. That's why I love reading/posting these threads as when you're inexperienced, well me, I can tend to doubt myself so it's so reassuring to know I'm doing the right things, as it's more challenging than I thought! But today I feel a lot more confident just sort of using my instinct and trying to work out Seren's body language... It's ok if I make a mistake as long as I learn from it... That's my new mantra! ;D Good luck with the biting! I have that phase to look forward to I'm sure :)

Julie T - not stressful, just ummmm, challenging! ::) I think it kinda worked doing shorter sessions of outside games...The problem was that I could distract him from the fence, for a minute, then he'd be back - he has 3 favourite fence posts it seems! So doing slightly shorter sessions seemed to help a little. Also today I'm starting to let him out of his indoor pen as he seems to really enjoy it/feel safe in there now, and the cats seem less fearful around him, which is so great. I think this will make the situation a lot less challenging for me as I'll have more space to interact with him in a more relaxed fashion, like you said, instead of being outdoors where there are much more distractions. I can't get rid of the pen as my garden is huuuuuge (great for when he's all grown up!) Plus as I'm rural my vet suggested to make a pen a while before we got Seren to make sure his outside area was fox free. I'm hoping a combination of extra special toys and anti-chew spray will make the pen situation better... if not I'll just make a new one out of something else I think, and see how that goes :)

snowbunny - good advice about the lead, thanks, will start trying that out today. Have been doing lots of C&T outside when he comes to me/chases me, and it's working well... apart from sometimes he loves it so much that he leaps for me. Have learnt that if I crouch down a bit and don't move too fast, he's less likely to leap. It's all a learning curve isn't it! But I'll start doing that inside now without the lead, like you said, now that I'm letting him out of his pen. Pippa's book is really great I'm finding, for ideas on early day recall stuff.

I need to go over previous posts/read more about 100% positive training. I don't agree with punishment/corrections (watched cesar milan the other for the first time and was a bit horrified), and decided before I got Seren that I didn't want to use 'No'... haven't been advised not to do this or anything but somehow it just doesn't sit well with me, plus I remember my sister saying when she had toddlers she tried not to use 'No' as otherwise she'd be saying it all the time (!) which makes everything a little negative. But I don't fully understand why I can't say 'uh uh', as I use a chirpy up beat tone, not loudly, don't punish, and use it just as a way to get his attention to stop what he's doing to divert it to something 'better'. 'Uh uh' seems to just pop out of my mouth, I have used a light clap a few times, and once I turned into some sort of a quiet opera singer it seemed! He LOVED that! So for Seren an 'uh uh' is surely just a noise, right? Like a clap or a squeak or a high pitch fun voice? Ah, like I said... need to read up on it more! Bit of a minefield!

And thank you all again for your advice/encouragement, I'm finding it so useful. My boyfriend also reminded me this morning when he found me gulping down tea with bags under my eyes to get to Seren for a wee break that... he hasn't been whining *much*, he loves his crate, he is sitting all the time to say please, he's slowly learning not to jump and we haven't had one toilet accident yet. I must work out how to get my pictures up... he's like a tubby little piglet, I love him!

S&S x