2 year old chocolate lab, still having toilet training issues pls help

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by mydougie, Feb 25, 2017.

1. mydougie

mydougie Registered Users

I have a 2 year old Chocolate lab, I take him out for walks 3-4 times a day. first thing in the morning too 12:00 at night before I go to bed. He gets fed in the morning and between 5-6 in the afternoon.

I thought I had cracked it with his toilet training, with him not having any accidents over night.

But the last month or so I am waking up to find a lovely pile of poo to clean up.

Please can someone help me as I am completely stuck, I don't know what else I can do.

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi there @mydougie , welcome to the forum!
    Sorry to hear you are having problems.
    Has anything happened to explain this backward step?
    Maybe a change in food, upset in routine, change in family dynamics, any illness (yourself or your dog)? Maybe medication. Is he getting access to some food he shouldn't (not helping himself to your larder/cat food/his food bag? Has he had recent wormers or other medication?

Sorry for the whole list of questions!
    I would take things back to basis and go out with him each toilet trip and praise and reward with a small treat when he performs outside.
    For inside, make sure you are using an ammonia free cleaner for accidents (like simple solution)
    Does he need to be confined to a smaller area at night short term to reinforce the toilet training?

Not sure if any of this is helpful, but let me know where you are and whether any of this could be relevant.
    jac

3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Hi and welcome. I had a similar problem with one of my dogs a few months ago following a tummy upset. I tried feeding earlier, going out several times in the evening, even setting the alarm during the night for a toilet trip. I was becoming disheartened with the lack of progress and stressed as we had 2 weekends planned to be away - 1 where the dogs were going to their Holidays4dogs carer and one away with us to visit family. In desperation I purchased a new, large soft crate and haven't had a problem since. She is still sleeping in her crate and absolutely loves it.

4. mydougie

mydougie Registered Users

Thanks for your reply, I do not have the room for a crate, he has never had one. Dougie sleeps in the kitchen, he does his business on the same spot on the kitchen floor. I might try keeping him in the hall way tonight and see if that makes any difference.

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

This might be a clue.
    What kind of cleaner are you using?
    If it is ammonia based, then maybe it is not clearing away a "marking" smell that encourages him to re-use the same spot?

6. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

As @drjs@5 says it is important to use an appropriate cleaner to ensure that their scales no lingering scent.

Also forgot to add that I had my gIrl in a crate in the bedroom for a week or two before transferring her back to the kitchen /dining room just in case she was crying during the night and I wasn't hearing her. Needless say there wasn't a peep from her but no problem either so a change of location may help.