2 year old regressing with housebreaking

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by aslowrie, Feb 21, 2019.

1. aslowrie

aslowrie Registered Users

Hi all,

I'm all out of ideas and need some advice. My dog was housebroken when she was a puppy, and became pretty good about not going inside. About a year ago we stopped creating her during the day and at first she was good about holding it. Then she started having accidents that became more frequent with time, making me think that she got desensitized to peeing in the house. We started crating her again during the day (no problems when still in the crate). More recently she's started having accidents when she doesn't think we're looking or when we don't respond instantly to her ringing a bell. It's not every day, but frequently enough to be frustrating. Also, we' talked to the vet so a UTI was ruled out, making me think it's behavioral.

Any ideas on how to get her to not think it's ok to pee in the house?

Thanks

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @aslowrie

I would go through a another regime of toilet training. Reward her when she goes in the garden. I will explain why below.

You must ensure that areas in the house where she has urinated are completely devoid of the smell of urine. Use a detergent with an enzyme cleaner.

Does not sound like accidents to me. Sounds like she can't be bothered going out. Are there toys for her to play with outside?

How do you know it's instantly? Could she have rang the bell several times and you missed the first occasions.

The latter two behaviours suggest to me that you have to increase the reward for her going to the toilet outside. Time to give treats again for going in the garden. And put weeing on a cue. So that you can get her to void.