25 Meter Area

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by charlie, Mar 13, 2016.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

David is trying very hard to keep Charlie within a 25 meter area off lead during his walks. Yesterday Charlie managed a whole 100 meters of C&T for every "look at me", it was very tough and he did try to get ahead but did as he was asked :) I know this doesn't sound like much but this is hard for Charlie to do as he isn't interested in retrieving or playing with anything and they were in open fields which is extremely exciting to Charlie as he would love to RUN! When he had accomplished the 100 meters he was allowed to have a RUN, but what was heartwarming is when he had his run he was following and running BEHIND my son Thomas, again this is hard for Charlie :)

I am C&T at home everytime he looks at me indoors so not sure if that is helping on walks.

Is there anything else that you can think of that could help this along please?

Thanks xxx

Pilatelover, MaccieD and drjs@5 like this.
  2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Good start Helen....I used to use the About Turn Walk...in fact I still do sometimes when we are walking alone together....
    Pippa,writes about it here

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/dog-recall-the-about-turn-walk/

I worked a lot on getting eye contact for our lead issues....I realised that I was worse at eye contact than Dexter!!! I trained myself to stop and wait for him to look at me for everything..eg before I let him out of a door,before I let him get in or out the car....it made a huge difference.
    Good luck,and good boy Charlie x

charlie likes this.
  3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks Angela, we are doing all that you suggest but this is particularly for off lead walking, we are really trying to get him to stay in a 25 meter or so range which is a huge ask of Charlie! :rolleyes:

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I would go for the sudden turnarounds and walk in a different direction, I also start running off(well as much as my knees allow ;) ) when Juno starts falling behind having a good sniff, it's amazing how she suddenly sees my heading off and runs to catch up.

charlie likes this.
  5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

With a dog with Charlie's breeding, it is most unnatural for him to be contained in 25m circle, unless the Lab side of him is the uttermost side! Are you doing this because of his disappearance last week or so? I would extend the distance but do the turnarounds as @MaccieD suggested, it worked with my GSPs.

charlie likes this.
  6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

@Stacia and @MaccieD thanks for your reply. Our thinking is, if we can "try" to keep Charlie off lead within a certain circle, maybe we need to rethink the circle, then building up the distance that he can manage this releasing him for a 'run' as his reward which is a high reward to Charlie, as he doesn't retrieve or play so other than food he doesn't have a reward. Maybe he will have a little more control. He managed a lot further yesterday doing it this way again in open fields along a hedgerow, so maybe he is learning.

Is my thinking all wrong?

We do the turnarounds as suggested and that helps. Yes we have been a little bit freaked out after his disappearing act last week? :(

7. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

@charlie I think it sounds a very practical way to proceed. Charlie stays close and is rewarded with a run which is high value to him :)

You're bound to be a bit freaked still after last weeks panic, but try to relax and be positive so Charlie doesn't pick up on any stress and each successful walk puts it that bit further in the past.

charlie likes this.
  8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I suppose I was used to my GSPs being at a fair distance, they always came back to check me, especially the solid liver ones, the liver and white ticked ones tended to hunt at further distances! My Labs are further than 25m but are always in sight. (So far!!).

charlie likes this.
  9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks Rosemary @MaccieD will do :)

Thanks @Stacia, your advice is always so helpful to me as you have owned GSPs. For years we have been working on Charlie's recall. Uncued "look at me" also checking in on us which he does and gets C&T too so now so we feel it's time to try and train keeping him closer and the only way I can come up with is to reward him with a 'run', so hopefully the way we are 'trying' to achieve this is correct, seems to be working so far!!

As always it's extremely slow progress with Charlie, it's taken 16 months to get regular uncued "look at me" but this is quite good now even in areas of pretty high distraction :) x

Stacia and MaccieD like this.
  10. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

A reward is what Charlie decides is of high importance to him and is happy to work for. Treats and toys just don't do it for Charlie, but he loves to run therefore the best reward for Charlie is a run. The important part is that you have accepted Charlie's preferred reward and are building it in to his training off lead.

You have made brought Charlie on so much, it's absolutely amazing and this is just the next step on your training plan which is already showing small successes

charlie likes this.
  11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Your right I have to work with what I've got and I accept that even though it's not ideal, so treats and a 'run' is the way forward for my Charlie :rolleyes: x

Stacia and MaccieD like this.