2nd dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Aella, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Aella

Aella Registered Users

has anyone got two dogs? What’s the age gap? Are they the same breeds? Having a look at a labradoodle today. We have a fox red lab age 10 months. She is really chilled girl.

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

The age difference between my dogs tends to be about 6 years. However, I did have a couple of German Pointers with just a year between them, I remember watching the TV falling over in slow motion (so it seemed!) as their boisterous play knocked it over! However, on the whole it was OK but the sad thing is they tend to die with a few months of each other. If you do get another dog, you ned to train them separately, otherwise they bond with each other and not you!

3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

I currently have a 13 year old Alaskan malamute and 4 year old lab. I have had various breed, age and sex combinations over 20 plus years. I think most combinations that work are down to the dogs personalities in the end :)

4. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Currently there is a 7yr age gap between my two but it's usually 3 -4 yrs. I've normally had different breeds together, this being the first time I've had two the same, and they've always, apart from once, been males.

The only thing I would advise is to think carefully about whether you're going to spay your 10mth old bitch. It will be far easier to do this before another youngster arrives as keeping a post op dog quiet will be nigh on impossible with a playmate constantly available.

5. KirbyHawk75

KirbyHawk75 Registered Users

I have a 13 year old female chocolate lab and a 6 month old female chocolate lab. That is too far of a difference. The puppy wants to play with the old one so bad but my old dog wants nothing to do with her. In fact, she has bitten the puppy a few times. We have to keep them seperate basically all the time.

6. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Fred is 4 and Annie is 2. They are from the same Breeder. Same father, but different mothers. Both very different Fred gentle and quiet. Annie more busy and bouncy. They get on great and love each other. They are always together. Edp is right when saying its all down to personalities in the end.

7. Granca

Granca Registered Users

We’ve had varying age differences, from 11 years to nearly 2 years.

The 11 year gap was between our Tibetan terrier and our first lab; the lab puppy breathed new life into our then rather creaky Tibetan, they became great friends and he lived on until he was nearly 17.

There was a 2 year gap between two of our other dogs, so they grew older together and died (aged 14 and 13) within a relatively short time. There’s currently just under two years between my two labs, a shorter gap than I would have liked, but that’s the way it worked out. They’re great company for each other, but I would have preferred a 4 - 6 year gap to avoid having two elderly dogs together.

For several years we had three dogs (not all labs!) and they all got on well. It very much depends on personality, though.

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.