3 months old lab puppy constantly biting

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Henry T, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Henry T

Henry T Registered Users

I have a yellow lab puppy who has just turned 3 months old. I've had him since he was just 5 weeks old. Know that this was too young to take him but I really had no choice. Breeder was a first timer and likely not aware of possible issues of letting pups go that early. I went ahead and took my boy because if I hadn't someone else would. He is the best thing that I ever had come into my life. Without going into detail he is the only thing that I have in my life. I love him more than I can express. Had very large dogs and small dogs in my life before but my labrador puppy is the first doggie I've had in 8 years. He has been great from the beginning as far as sleeping through entire night. Sleeps in his crate at night and a great deal during the day. Unfortunately I don't have my nice home with fenced yard, etc, any longer. I live in a townhome but do have direct access to rear yard area. Since I'm now retired I spend 24/7 with my boy and we are outdoors throughout the day to potty and play plus a huge park nearby. I guess what I'm leading up to is his biting nipping is out of control. No matter what he has to chew such as every toy you can think of or chew bones, my flesh is his absolute favorite. My arms are bloodied bruised and scarred from his needle teeth. All this is done through clothing. Nothing I've tried will stop him and believe me I have read and studied and listened to every word about a remedy but none ever work for over 5 seconds. Vet says that he is a very healthy fine dog and this is just what puppies do. I even swatted him on his butt with a fly swat and of course he thinks that's just another game. I love him more than anything and so if he consumes my entire body then so be it. Sorry for such a long post but I'm new to site and wanted to share with others that can relate possibly. I know that most of the problems will likely go away as he matures and I keep working with him. BTW he is my companion and my best friend even though I had to get a prescription from medical professional in order to have him. Wish I had done it 10 years ago. Thank you and bless you if you bothered to read this ridiculously long post.

Chris Follett likes this.
  2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hang on in there Henry, and welcome to the forum. :). There are things you can do to help this phase pass less painfully - check out this article. https://www.thelabradorsite.com/labrador-puppies-biting/. And have a think about the situations where the biting is worse. Many times it is being exacerbated by physical play from family members and taking a step back from rough play can really help

3. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Your puppy sounds lovely and once the biting phase is over I'm sure you'll have a great companion. My dog was an awful biter (made me bleed daily) but turned into a wonderfully gentle adult. The worst of her biting stopped around 14 weeks of age.
    Try to always carry a soft toy with you, or leave them dotted around on surfaces (out of the puppy's reach) in different rooms so that you always have one to grab and offer instead of your hand. Though I would say hold on to one end of the toy for a game of tug as that way your puppy is learning to interact with you but without latching onto your skin.
    I also found large cardboard boxes came in handy during Molly's worst biting times each evening. She would crawl into, over and through them and bite the sides!
    The biting will pass - hold on and be gentle, even if your puppy isn't.