4 month old pup, over excited with other dogs

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Andy Aveyard, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Andy Aveyard

Andy Aveyard Registered Users

Holly is coming on really well in most respects, but the one thing that we're struggling with, is her over excitement when she meets other dogs when we're out walking.

We're using a harness, which does help maintain some control, but whenever she gets close to another dog, she will stop at nothing to try and get to the other dog. She's not at all nasty, she just wants to play, even if the other dog is growling at her. I'm having to hold Holly by the harness with both hands, even pushing her bottom down to try and get her to sit. She's just so determined and will not pay any attention.

Any advice appreciated!

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Andy, there's no point in trying to get your puppy to pay attention to you or to make her sit when she is so excited. You need to put some space between her and the other dog until she is able to calm down. Have a look at this article: Over The Threshold which explains the principles involved. Bear in mind that this type of excitement over grown up dogs is absolutely normal in friendly puppies - there's nothing wrong with her. :)

Andy Aveyard likes this.
  3. Andy Aveyard

Hi Pippa, thanks very much for the advice! I'll take a look at the link.

4. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Just to add, if you are stuck in these situations, and are struggling to get a bit of distance, try not to get your puppy to sit...actually sitting is not a normal position for a dog, especially an excited puppy! Distract with a bit of cheese/ high-value treat, and when she looks at you and not the other dog, give her lots of praise. Thus she won't associate another dog with "oops! my bottom is going to get pushed down, I am going to feel uncomfortable". Of course, I don't think for an instant you are forcing her to sit, but you know what I mean! :)

5. Andy Aveyard

We'll give it a try, she'll do almost anything for a bit of cheese :)

Beanwood likes this.