4 month old puppy waking earlier

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Stew, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Stew

Stew Registered Users

Hi Folks,

Ziggy (4 months) has been really good overnight pretty much from day 1. Sleeping from 11pm through until 7am with a loo break around 6 for the first few weeks.

These past 4-5 days he's been barking consistently just after 5am. He's not desperate to go out but will pee with a bit of encouragement. He'll go back into his crate for an hour then start barking again.

He's fairly sleepy in the evenings but we tried keeping him more active last night but it didn't make any difference. He doesn't seem to be peeing any more frequently than usual so I don't think it's a UTI. I've had a read through the waking early article and similar threads. Seems like the answer is to get up before him and slowly extend out the time but wondered if anybody had any other suggestions/comments.

I'm so tired that reality seems like an illusion *stares at hand wondering if it's really there* ;)

2. Stew

Stew Registered Users

....I should also say that he's started losing baby teeth/growing adult ones and he does seem quite keen to get into a chew when he wakes...not sure if that's a factor??

3. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Stew likes this.
  4. Cadey's Mum

Cadey's Mum Registered Users

I will be reading this too as my puppy is driving me crazy..

Stew likes this.
  5. Monstein

Monstein Registered Users

Last few nights I have had to change my sleeping pattern to get closer to the pup, was 1 am to 10 am now 10:30/11 PM to 6 am. Wish I could get Balder to go back in after doing a morning bathroom break, or go fast because the outdoors is still to exciting to this puppy.

Stew likes this.
  6. Leanne82

Leanne82 Registered Users

It used to be 7 (and i was smug)
    Then it went to 6.30 (less smug)
    Yesterday was 5.30 (near tears)
    Today it was 5:15 (can no longer function if not actively drinking coffee so strong it burns through my stomach lining)

I was determined today. I got up at 5.15, no eye contact, no play, no good morning. Did a wee (which frankly he didn’t need) and then popped him back into the crate.

20 minutes of barking later - my 14yo stubbled down the stairs thinking it was the fire alarm.

I know what I have to do, get up at 4am and let him out so that he does a wee whilst still sleepy... but it’s 4am... :eek: and I was smug damnit.

I liked being smug. Smug means sleep.

He’s now prancing around like rudolf on Christmas Eve and I’m rocking in the corner.

He’s just so bloody HAPPY. All tail wagging and smiley.

Urgh. :confused:

Stew and drjs@5 like this.
  7. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Hi @Stew, it could be that the light mornings are causing him to wake earlier and not want to settle again? Is his crate covered with anything so that it is darker in there?

Stew likes this.
  8. Stew

Stew Registered Users

Hey Selina, that could definitely be the problem. He sleeps in the dining room which is quite bright in the morning as the patio doors are in the same room, hasn't troubled him up until now which is odd. We bought blinds to install yesterday and will set those up today. He did sleep much later this morning though, 6:45! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

selina27 likes this.
  9. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Let's hope that helps, it could be that he's seeing or hearing something outside now that it's light so early that is disturbing him.

Stew likes this.
  10. Cadey's Mum

Cadey's Mum Registered Users

I know where your coming from... please sleep!