4yr old dog nighttime pooping

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Lilyofthevalley, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Lilyofthevalley

Lilyofthevalley Registered Users

I have 2 labs..Lily, 10 yr old female and Finn, 4yr old male. About 6 months ago Finn began pooping in the night periodically. Once or twice weekly. Although They were both crate trained as pups they both have dog beds in our room they sleep in at night.
    We initially thought we had either forgot to let him out at bedtime or fed him supper too late( busy outside in spring summer). This nighttime behavior carried on all summer sometimes 3 times a week and we eventually kept our bedroom door closed to keep him from wandering, fed supper at 5 and always let them out at bedtime.
    He never pooped in our bedroom. Leaving door closed indefinitely wasn't working for the cats though. We thought by Sept and some nights in our bedroom he d kick the habit. We are off in summer but work rest of the year. Never any daytime poop. even if we Leave early in day and it's an 8 or 9 hr away time.
    We finally brought his xpen to the bedroom and enclosed his bed in that. He will go in crate but not his fav. he's good in xpen . For remainder of Sept and all oct. He has slept on his bed in xpen poop free.
    A week ago both my husband and I thought the other put him to bed. Sure enough in the morning we found he had pooped. clearly he needs to sleep confined at night. Super curious why he would do this only at night starting 6 months ago? He's 3rd lab for us. Not had this issue. No new pets, no new people in household and no location changes. But coming in three weeks a move to new house.

2. Nyxsie

Nyxsie Registered Users

Definitely keep crating him for now.
    I would probably also feed him dinner an hour earlier if you can.
    Instead of letting him for bed time bathroom, take him for a walk. Hopefully that will make him poop.

This is my best guess on why:
    You didn't feed him consistently and his bowl movement time clock changed OR he ate something that constipated him and got backed up. Then at night, he felt like he really had to go. Since he wasn't crated, he knew he could poop at a reasonable distance from his sleeping area. Then he pooped, and was rewarded by feeling relieved. I honestly feel like there is some luck involved in potty training. Some dogs will eventually be 100% trustworthy while others won't ever truly be.

Sometimes random changes can indicate a health problem, but considering that he holds it just fine in the kennel, I would feel comfortable ruling that out.