5 month old, jumps at dogs faces when playing.

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by burntheships, Dec 6, 2017.

1. burntheships

burntheships Registered Users

I have a 5 month old lab pup, everything has went smooth so far. House training went well, she comes to her whistle whenever I call her with it and she loves playing fetch.

She’s crate trained fine with no crying and is great around my 18 month old son.

We had a problem with her running to strangers on her walk and jumping up, she no longer runs up to people but still jumps up when someone greets her.

She also gets really excited when seeing other dogs and if she’s on a lead will pull towards them and if the owner of the other dog is happy for them to play she will try to jump on their dogs head/face if the dog stays still long enough, otherwise they just run around as normal.

This is the main problem I see now and I can’t get her to stop jumping up at people and have no idea how to stop her jumping other dogs faces, some of them don’t like it very much?

Has anyone else had these problems and has any advice on how to train it out her?

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It’s the way pups play and yes, it can be a real problem with people and with dogs that don’t like it.

Here is a good article - https://www.thelabradorsite.com/no-more-jumping-up/

Some pups are much worse than others. My Keir (six months old) doesn’t do it at all. My Tatze (5 years old) still does it to people sometimes without warning :rolleyes:

3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

My dog will tolerate puppies jumping on his head like this, but once they're not a puppy (in his eyes) he will respond with full on rough and tumble, which is too much. I have to remove him often.

4. burntheships

Thanks for the link to the article.

Can I expect her to stop jumping on dogs head and faces as she gets older and matured?

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes. This is puppyish behaviour and most unusual in dogs over 12 months old, unless they know each other :)

6. burntheships

Brilliant thanks a lot!

7. Candy

Candy Registered Users

Jumping on big dogs' heads and playing bitey-face are two of Joy's favourite things (she's 7 months) All my labs have been like this as pups/young dogs and all have just grown out of it.

burntheships likes this.