5 month old puppy bites and rips clothes.

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Claudia Paley, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Claudia Paley

Claudia Paley Registered Users

Hello. Our puppy is 5 months old on the 24th. He has moments of biting and then gets really excited and rips my kids clothes. What is the best way to stop this? We know it is the teething stage but he doesn't do it to my husband. Only us 3 girls. We need help.

Thank you.

2. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Claudia, if you search back through earlier posts on the forum you will find many with the exact same situation :)

3. Marley ❤

Marley ❤ Registered Users

Hi Claudia, can't really offer advice as such as I'm going through the exact same thing, just mine chews fresh washing instead of when we are wearing it lol and has a obsession with my youngest socks lol!! But with the biting we are having exact same problem and like you it's me and my daughter that are suffering atm. I'm hoping that it's just his teething faze so like others have advised me I'm going to try the rolled up tea towel frozen and see if that eases the pain. Have you tried frozen carrots aswell Marley loves them and it gives my hands a rest. I'm sure you will get some great advice on here, it's been God send for amount of questions I have asked. After all this just really want to say your not alone, keep pushing through. Do you do time outs when he does it. Is it just when your playing etc x good luck!!

Claudia Paley likes this.
  4. Aisling Labs

Aisling Labs Registered Users

This seems to be a real issue with some of the puppies - by "this" I mean that they appear to be biting on the females in the house far more than they do the males AND it appears to be random.

In my experience though, it isn't random. It is the result of a) overstimulation and b) tiredness and at 5 months c) some teething pain and d) boredom.

Whether it is at 14 weeks, 16 weeks, or 5 months of age, it usually coincides with the family allowing the better behaved puppy more time out of the crate not realizing that more time out of the crate equals a) overstimulation and b) tiredness and.....I'm sure you understand where I am going. And the puppy isn't as demanding of time and attention as he was and so he gets less time and attention but a lot more "in the room with us" time. And let's add "expectations" to the mix - because we've learned to "expect" that better behaved older puppy in the room with us when he/she goes backwards for a few days or a week, we are shocked by it.

Labs are still puppies in their behavior for a very long time - two years for some and for others even longer than that. Our Angus is still a "puppy" in many ways at five years old! Then our Kona at 3 suddenly became this grand lady who will merrily lead the other four on a chase but deign to actually "play with the others? Well, no thank you very much!" SHE was the wild child of the bunch until that third birthday! And our 16 month old Cain has regressed in certain areas since the puppy came to live with us and he was as near the "perfect" puppy one could get.

If nothing else works, then go back to a regular scheduled crating time for forced rest periods for awhile (providing a mental stimulation upon placing the dog in the crate with a stuffed Kong or game feeder or something).

Plum's mum likes this.