6 month old female sterilized - recovery??

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by farahmay, Jun 3, 2018.

1. farahmay

farahmay Registered Users

Hey guys, so my 6 month old female Lexi was sterilized a day and a half ago, I live on the 5th floor in a building with no elevator. When she was younger (and significantly lighter) I carried her up and down the stairs, then at about 4 months I couldn't do it anymore. Well I've kept her inside thus far, I have the little plastic toilet for her with fake grass, but I don't know how long it'll have to be like this. When do you guys think she's ready to go down the stairs slowly? The vet never specified, he actually told me she could walk the same day but she was pretty scared and still groggy from the anaesthesia, and my neighbor helped me by carrying her up to the apartment. All he said was that I should keep her cone of shame on for 5 days.
    She's fine now, actually quite bored since I'm not letting her run or jump around, but I'm scared of her intradermal stitches ripping?

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

2. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I'd give the vet a quick ring and ask. When my Belle was spayed I don't think we restricted her stair use just made sure she took it slowly (but that was only a single flight in a house). I hope Lexi's recovery is smooth and uneventful.

3. farahmay

Thanks! I don't know I'm super paranoid to be honest, it's a lot of stairs!! Her wound is healing very nicely no bleeding, no visible swelling, maybe later tonight if I take it very slow down the stairs.

ALSO: She peed after the surgery, she also pooped, but hasn't gone potty since 7pm last night and it's 11:45 am now, is this normal or should I be concerned?

4. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Is she drinking plenty? If you're at all concerned, you should call your vet and ask - I can't stress this enough. Just telephone and ask for advice.

farahmay likes this.
  5. farahmay

She's drinking and eating very well, I took her outside (veryyyyy very slowly, we literally took it step by step) and she peed for aaaaaages, then went to poop twice!!!
    I can't believe she was holding it in. She only used the plastic toilet once yesterday, not sure what that's about :/ Guess I'll have to take her out in slow mode like I just did earlier tonight as well.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  6. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Ah. Guessing she doesn't like the plastic toilet. She's house trained and knows you have to pee/poo outside. Bless her, she's a good girl.

farahmay likes this.
  7. farahmay

She really is a good girl! Haha, although I wish for a couple of days she would break that rule but I know dogs can't do that, oh well :D