6 month old Lab showing teeth when greeting people

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Stew, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Stew

Stew Registered Users

My (nearly) 6 month old has recently started lifting his top lip and showing his teeth when greeting people. We visited his breeder a few weeks ago and she noticed it, apparently his mum does it as well, she reckons it's smiling :D

There's no aggression in him at all, he loves saying hello regardless if it's me or a stranger and his tail is going a mile a minute. It's actually rather cute.

Any theories on what this could be, anyone have a dog that does the same?

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Stew, any possibility of a short video. One needs to observe a number of different aspects of the dog's body language rather just looking at the mouth, as you well recognise from your comment about the tail. But it matters where the tail is being held more than the observation that its moving. If video not possible, I suggest you look up Stan Coren's work who has many drawings of dog emotions. Laughing is normally viewed as a relaxed open mouth rather than just raising an upper lip. Maybe your dog and mother have their own language.

3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

My childhood Dalmatian would do this - I think it is a breed trait with them. It was known as "grinning" in our house. I've seen it described as a "smarl" in the internet. It was, indeed, cute.

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Stew, it's sometimes referred to as a 'submissive grin' - accompanied by a full body wag, it's considered to be a sign that a dog is friendly and unthreatening.

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

My dog Rourke does this and so does his brother, I think it is rather endearing.