6 mth old jumping

Discussion in 'Dog Training: Principle and Practice' started by Baby Keisha, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Baby Keisha

Baby Keisha Registered Users

My 6mth old girl is a beautiful well behaved dog until I get visitors ! Then she is like something possessed,
    leaping at them non stop. I have tried every method recommended to no avail. I dread someone coming especially my grandkids, I daren't let her in the house when my 2yr old visits. I am at my wits end at what to do as she yelps non stop when left out side. I am the only person she doesn't jump on even hubby gets a `welcome` as he works away from home. Somedays I feel I`ve taken on too much. Will she grow out of it . I love her dearly but I am getting really desperate :(

2. edzbird

edzbird Supporting Member Forum Supporter

UncleBob likes this.
  3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

No, they don't grow out of it, unfortunately. Although they do get a bit more sensible as they grow up, and it is easier to train out excitable behaviours with a more sensible dog. :) So you can hope it gets easier in the future.

4. William Dennison

William Dennison Registered Users

I think you have to work on it and I am sure it will give that you want.

5. jessieboo

jessieboo Registered Users

We are working on this with 10 mth old Jessie. She is now excellent with those that live in the house! A work in progress for everyone else, but getting better!

Above article is excellent. What has also helped is having her on a lead so I can control her behaviour with guests and have them completely ignore her at all times. She then calms down! Hard with a 2 year old tho! I also now crate her upstairs when people arrive, and then I am in control of introductions! Greeting on arrival can just be too hectic!

You will get there in time, I'm sure!

6. Maddog67

Maddog67 Active Member

I have stopped a number of dogs from doing this over the years when others have given up hope it starts when their small pups.Owners,guests,family members think it's brilliant when they encourage this behaviour but pups grow up to big dogs then it's not so funny.the solution is simple get family,friends anyone to greet your dog while you have her on a lead as she lunges you give a strong stern NO and pull her back make her sit and both of you completely ignoring her have a brief conversation.You will have to keep repeating this with everyone she meets or comes to your home she will stop it's her form of attention seeking ,

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

These two statements are mutually exclusive. In the first, you are advocating punishing the puppy. In the second, you state you shouldn't punish a puppy.

8. Maddog67

Maddog67 Active Member

It's not punishment by pulling her away with a stern NO and making her sit and ignoring her while having a brief chat is teaching her manners the more it's done the better she becomes eventually she will do it automatically. To punish is to deliberately inflict pain or cause suffering by whatever means. I'm giving experienced advice I've been there seen it and done it and got the T shirt, trained the untrainable taken dogs off death row trained them found them loving homes never taken a penny for them seeing the wag of the tale and new owners big smile was reward enough

9. snowbunny

You're quite wrong. Here is an article, for what it's worth, that defines what punishment is. http://www.thelabradorsite.com/punishment-in-dog-training/

10. Boogie

Boogie Registered Users

I wouldn't jerk the lead, but I would use a lead and stand on it when greeting friends, then keep her on it 'till all is calm. A Kong or filled bone will help.

:)

11. Maddog67

Maddog67 Active Member

Exactly I never said jerk the lead your restraining the dog not punishing it thank you Boogie the times I've had arguments with people who buy a dog read a book but have no idea what to do in practice that's why I charge £s to put their mistakes right

12. snowbunny

Saying "NO" in a stern voice, if it is effective, is punishing. If it's not effective, it's a waste of breath.

Pulling your dog back is manhandling and is unnecessary.

Restraining, by stepping on the lead as Mags suggested, is actually still punishment, but it is negative punishment.