61 years old and my first puppy - any advice welcomed

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Doug56, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Doug56

Doug56 Registered Users

Hello everybody

Having not long taken early retirement after a stroke a couple of years ago (fully recovered now) for the first time in my life I found that I had the time and the living conditions (house with a garden) to make it feasible for me to have a dog.

For the past two years I have spent a fair amount of time around my sister's two labradors and concluded they were definitely the type of dog for me.

I have a puppy, 12 weeks old, and he has been with me for the last five days. I am getting advice from family and friends, but after reading many of the posts on this site, I thought I would post and ask for people's comments on how best to proceed.

I want more than anything to have my puppy become a happy and contended dog. As an ex-teacher, I am familiar with young souls who like to push the boundaries and test their elders, and I do not see why that wouldn't apply to young dogs too, so please don't think I am niave (well, at least not totally).

Since I brought him home, George follows me everywhere I go (I now know to close the downstairs loo door when taking a leak) and I think I shall have to close the bathroom door as he has tried jumping in the bath when I'm in it (it is beyond him at the moment). But he does follow me everywhere I go in the house. Is this to be expected?

It's early days yet, but despite following the experts advice on toilet training, there has been no progress on that front. George tears up the puppy pads and does his business on the floor. I accompany him to the garden, but even if he is out there for quite some time, he only seems to do his business in the house after he comes back inside. On top of that, he eats his own poo, sometimes sicking it back up.

I feed him twice a day as advised by the vet and family/friends with labs, but when he has eaten he has a mad 30 minutes where he barks and seems quite aggressive. Otherwise, the vast majority of the time he is asleep and seems to like it immensly when I sit on the sofa with him and he cuddles up with his head in my lap. I am concerned he may sleep because he is bored (the vet has advised mew to wait until next week before taking him for walks after his last injections).

I put him to bed in his own (soft, comfy) bed with a toy and his blanket (in the same room as me), then spend regular intervals during the night finding him on my bed literally cuddled up next to me.

I accept that he will chew and the like, though I find his biting quite alarming as I wasn't prepared for it to be so forceful.

Does my experience of a first week with a lab puppy resonate with others' experiences? Is there anything out of the ordinary with what my George is doing, and if so, should I be concerned?

I am new to this and spend a lot of time (when I can get time at the PC, that is) reading internet articles about lab puppies as well as forums such as this. I understand there is a lot to learn and I will do my best. I guess I just need some reassurance and informed advice.

Many thanks for any and all comments to this post.

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

All totally normal :)

Most Labradors will follow you everywhere. And definitely into the loo... They are people dogs and want to be with their favourite people. It’s normal that George wants to be with you and thinks you’re the best thing ever.

The hard biting is also totally normal. It can be really shocking if you’re not used to a Labrador puppy. Since you’ve read a lot I’m sure you’ve come across all the tips already. Just keep doing what you’re doing. It will pass. He’ll end up being very gentle.

If he’s ripping up the puppy pads then I’d abandon them. Try to take him outside on a schedule - go for time periods that are a bit shorter than whatever time he can hold wee or poo for. Keep it business like till he does a pee or poo, then give him treats and have a party with a toy. You want to make toileting outside waaaay more worthwhile than toileting inside. At the moment the difference between inside and outside is meaningless to him. It’s not a concept that he can grasp yet. But in time he’ll come to see inside as the sleeping, eating and living place and outside as the weeing and pooping place. Feeding him in different locations round the house can help (they don’t like to pee where they eat).

It’s up to you if you want him sleeping on your bed. My dog sleeps on my bed. As mentioned earlier...they are happiest when close to their people :)

3. Oberon

Also meant to say that the crazy behaviour you get sometimes is also normal! It’s just overexcitement and play. Just try to stay out of the firing line.

There’s an article on poo eating - I’ll find that for you. I’d be taking plastics f bags with you and immediately picking up poo as soon as it’s deposited.

If you can carry him you can take him places. Take him out in the car to the local shops and sit on a bench with him. Have treats with you and get his admirers to give him a treat. That’s good exposure for a pup, and safe from a vaccination point of view.

Stacia likes this.
  4. Oberon

5. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Hi @Doug56 and welcome to the forum from me and my 21 month old boy Bailey, a mad fox red lab. Everything you have listed, as Rachael has said is perfectly normal lab puppy behaviour. I would recommend the Happy Puppy Handbook and Total Recall both excellent books - I am working my way through Total Recall now with my boy.

I gave up on puppy pads very quickly as Bailey would rip them to shreds and look really pleased with himself too! That said I cut them into four pieces and used them to clean up any accidents - are you using an enzyme cleaner (and following the instructions on the bottle - sounds simple but my OH didn't follow the instructions and leave it on the spot for two minutes, so it did not work properly and we had an issue with one area inside until I cleaned up the accident), we may not be able to smell anything if a normal cleaner is used but our pups can.

The mad half an hour could be what is referred to on here as the zoomies - a mad session of dashing around, sometimes with nipping, bashing into furniture etc. Bailey sometimes still does this - it is almost as if it is a release of extra energy or excitement - he does it if he meets one of his "mates" when on a walk - but before he could go out it was after/during playing. I can often instigate it with Bailey when we are out and it is safe to do so - I stand still and look at him - he focusses on me, I bend over at the waist, he goes into a play bow, and I shout zoomie and off he goes - round and round me with his tail tucked under, cornering on two legs almost and the best expression on his face ever!

Yes the biting is a shock - firstly the puppy teeth are sharp and will draw blood, and at best leave a bruise - at one point my arm looked like I was self harming with the amount of scratches and bite marks I had - all through play - so we started very quickly to teach bite inhibition. Now at 21 months old he has such a gentle mouth - he will nibble at my nails occasionally with his front teeth (when playing with my OH he will use his front teeth to nibble at his jumper) otherwise it is all licks. I was instant that we teach him not to jump on people due to my mother being rather frail and unsteady on her feet, but that is very much a work in progress not helped by people letting him jump up to greet him - despite me asking time and time again :(

As already said if you can carry your pup outside then take them somewhere to sit and people watch - even if it is just in your front garden - get your pup used to noises and seeing different people - it will pay dividends going forward. Also if you are near any farms or fields that there are cattle or sheep in, take your pup to have a look - the more you can expose them to the better.

Bailey quite often pops his head in the shower while I am in there - I have forgotten what it is like to have a pee on my own, and he does sleep on the bed with me and the OH - he has control of the bottom of the bed protecting my feet during the night! His reward is to wake up with his head on my pillow :) but that is my choice to allow this, I know others don't like the dog on the bed. Labs really are people dogs and love nothing more than being with us at all times - and I wouldn't swap my boy for anything :)

What is your pup's name? Just a hint but we do like to see pictures of puppies on here ;)

Stacia and Jes72 like this.
  6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm 61 years old too!

Welcome to you!

:)

7. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I think most of us feed at least three times a day if not four when they are so young. It might help cut down on poop eating, but that is a hopeful guess. Young puppies have small tummies and most need smaller meals but more often.

I have a video of my puppy getting into the bath tub. It was ok till he pee'd in it. Fortunately that time, the last time, I was not yet in. :)

MF and Jes72 like this.
  8. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Welcome! You're a brave man for taking on your first puppy! You're already getting good advice from the puppy experts and that's not my territory (I've not had a puppy for 15 years), but just wanted to say I'd take the "he's following me everywhere" as a good sign. :)

Also about following you to the loo... I had a great little terrier foster dog last spring who not only followed me to the loo, but felt that while I wasn't doing anything of much importance while I was there (his viewpoint), then why couldn't he use that time to get cuddles and pets? I considered trying to convince him otherwise, but finally realised that in fact he had a point and he ended up on my lap as part of my "bio break" routine. Not that I would call this a behaviour to emulate or recommend (or even to admit to anyone as I'm doing here), especially with a dog the size of a Lab! :D

Looking forward to hearing more about how you and your pup get on!

9. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

We got an 8 week old puppy in February. I am in my late sixties. Not our first puppy but our older Lab was 5 months old when we got her so my first experience of such a young puppy. I found it tough for lots of reasons but all became good - with the help of lovely people on this forum. You have definitely found the right place to get advice, share experiences good and bad and feel part of a great on line community.

This is what I did re. toiletting. I put her little lead on and took her out. I did this because I didn’t want her interfering in our older’s dog’s routine but it quickly became a good routine. She associates lead going on and into the garden as pee/poo time. This means she couldn’t eat her own poo as I quickly picked it up. Eventually, I started dropping the lead after she’d performed but not for months. I still put the lead on at almost a year old.

Yes the biting is alarming and not pleasant but it does stop eventually.

You sound like you are doing great :).

selina27 likes this.
  10. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum Doug56. You are doing great. Have you a photo of George?

11. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Hi @Doug56 , welcome to the Forum from another 61 year old :) I have Cassie, who is 19 months old now, while she's not my first puppy she is my first Labrador -- quite a difference from others I have had particularly with regard to the biting/nipping and general intense desire to play! This forum has undoubtedly been the best source of support and help that I've had, along with the books "The Labrador Handbook" and "Total Recall".
    As others have said, the following you is just because they like to be close to us, after all the companionship is what we want isn't it?
    Now she is a poppet, still a little prone to outbursts of over excitement but that's ok and manageable now, but is in the main very content. Like @Samantha Jones though I am still struggling with jumping up behaviour, it can be really hard to stop others encouraging her, but she is improving.

Looking forward to hearing more about George.

Samantha Jones and SwampDonkey like this.
  12. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

It sounds like you have found a little soul mate.
    He's making such a strong bond with you, ensure that once he's had all his injections he gets plenty of quality dog to dog interactions to help build his confidence and social skills.

I'm a primary school teacher with out children of my own. Having a puppy, has taught me so much from a parent's perspective. I was so anxious the first day he went to his dog sitter, felt mortified when I had a report of bad behaviour, outraged when he didn't win a prize at a show and so overwhelmingly proud when he achieved his Gold obedience certificate.

Yes, as soon as he's big enough he will jump into the bath with you and shredding toilet paper is,for most puppies and even my 5 year old, a favourite game. Not Andrex ad style but more like a snowstorm! So keeping bathroom doors closed will become the norm. He'll be waiting the other side for you.

A good pair of gardening gloves help during those zooms bity times. When the gloves are on playtime begins!

We fed our puppy 4 times a day refusing to three at three months then two meals from 6 months.

I'm sorry I can't help much with toileting, but it does get better.

We all love puppy pictures here, there's no such thing as too many puppy pictures!

selina27 likes this.
  13. Doug56

Doug56 Registered Users

Hello everybody

First off, thank you all for the wonderful replies and supporting encouragement. I really am very grateful for the effort people have made to post replies in detail.

I will post a picture of George as soon as I can figure out how to do it on this forum.

It gives me a lot of comfort and encouragement to know that the events of the first week are normal and nothing to be concerned about. Now that I can see what mischief he gets up to, I can now make up a list of things I need to buy and am hopeful my niece will help me with that this afternoon. (I've already seen what he can do the carpet on the stairs).

I have read many of the posts here and will certainly be reading many more.

Just to say I think it is great people are so supportive and welcoming as they are here.

14. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Welcome to you both x I was sixty four when I brought my last puppy home , and the big 70 when I rehomed a little dog , age is just a number ! In fact , I would go so far to say that with maturity comes common sense , most of the time anyway ! You have had some wonderful advice already , I hope you stay around so that we can share your journey .

15. Doug56

Doug56 Registered Users

I thought I would add my thoughts on one of the points I mentioned in my OP. Generally, George has spent the vast part of every day asleep (on my lap if he can engineer it). I wasn't sure if that was how it should be, and I did find it funny how his head would lift up and look around whenever I got up. It surprised me how loud he could bark and it further mystified me that this happens only after he has eaten his food. He barks and kinda half-growls/half-snarls for about 30 minutes or so. Reading lab literature here and elsewhere, I now see that others' have this happen too.

I will be taking him out for walks (5 mins per month of age, yes?) as soon as the day comes that the vet stated; at least that will add a bit of variety to his day.

As for following me around everywhere, as a single person, that took a few days to get used to. I was forever tripping over him and accidently stood on his paw once. When he follows me around, he wags his tails from side to side and will literally go wherever I go. At first, I wondered if I had gotten myself a too-needy dog, but research has shown he is doing what all other lab puppies do.

My natural inclination is to be affectionate to him and I am quite happy to sit down and have a snuggle with him on the sofa. Should I be careful not to overdo this, or just follow my own inclinations?

As I said in my OP, my goal is for him to be a happy and contented dog. Mind you, I don't want to blunder along and make mistakes causing him to become spoilt (as a teacher I have seen too many spoilt children). Hence, I think I am going to rack up quite a few posts on here :)

16. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Welcome to the forum from me & Coco. We've never had the "excitement" of a puppy - always adult rescues so far, so I really admire anyone who takes a puppy on. One day, when I am retired, we may go down the puppy route...

17. redmal1

redmal1 Registered Users

I am 64 too, with Sophie, 5 months, although I've had dogs all my life, but never a lab before. Not much to add really, except try and leave George for a few minutes or so if you can, maybe when he's chewing a toy or occupied with something, so he gets used to being on his own from an early age and (hopefully) won't get separation anxiety when he grows up. And before he has the all clear re his vaccinations can he meet any friendly, healthy, vaccinated dogs, maybe your sisters 2? Don't stress too much, he will soon be out and about anyway.

Oh, and if you do manage to get any pics posted, can you tell me how? (I am a dismal failure!!)

18. Doug56

Doug56 Registered Users

He has already had two visits to meet his cousins ... after the initial burst of surprise and excitement (mainly on their part) they seemed to get along quite fine.

Jes72 likes this.
  19. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hi and welcome to the forum from me and my tribe of three and three quarter dogs.

Cuddle away! If you have a tactile puppy, that's great. Some are, some aren't. I have two (and three quarter) cuddlers, and one who likes her own space. You might like to have a cue for finishing cuddle time, just in case you need to, so that your dog knows when you say "that's it" (or whatever), the cuddles are over. Training an "off" is a good idea, too, for when you have guests over and they expect some sofa space :D

If you've not done it already, I'd advise starting on separation training, so he learns to be apart from you. This can just be a few seconds in a different room to start off with, and gradually extending the time. You don't want to end up with a dog that can never be left alone, so starting this as early as possible is a good idea.

Samantha Jones, Jes72 and Stacia like this.
  20. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Oh definitely cuddle - my best time of each day is sitting with Bailey cuddled up next to me either sleeping or just wanting me to fuss him. We do have a "new trick" that Bailey has decided is the best thing ever - he climbs on the sofa cushions behind me, lays down and puts his head on my shoulder and dozes off almost immediately - this is NOT something we have encouraged and now he is 28kg it is not a particularly comfortable position for me or one that I can have him there for more than a few minutes! But he is good as soon as his down cue is given he does get down to the normal sitting position on the sofa!

As others have said make a start on George being left on his own - just seconds to begin with building up over time. We did this with Bailey (using his crate) and then when he was older we puppy proofed our bedroom so that now when we have to leave him on his own he goes upstairs to chill on our bed (he has water and snacks up there too). He is very happy to do that, and after speaking to the neighbours they have never heard him bark or cry when we go out, so the hard work to begin with pays off.