7 month old fox red puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by andlesal, Mar 17, 2014.

1. andlesal

andlesal Registered Users

I am having trouble getting the right food. He has had runny and solid and semi solid poos since January. And have tried 3 different types of food now.
    We are currently easing him onto Beta Sensative adult food with probiotic. Anyone got any ideas on the best food? I wondered if the foowas too good quality as he was on Hills, have tried Wainwrights and James Beloved.
    Help if you can. ;D

2. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Re: 7 month old fox red puppy

3 different foods since January is a lot in a short space of time. It could be this quick changing that is not helping with the diarrhoea.

Have you seen a vet? That would always be the first thing to do in a case of ongoing diarrhoea, even if the dog is otherwise well.

There are many reasons dogs can get diarrhoea. You could be overfeeding, which is a very common issue and easy to do. Try cutting each meal back by a handful of kibble or so and see how you go. It's also important to eliminate all treats whilst you're trying to figure out the cause of diarrhoea as these can also contribute to the problem.

3. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

[​IMG]

4. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

I think Lauren could have a point with the number of food changes. How did you manage the change over? Any change of food should be done very gradually, over a week at least.

Check the quantities on the bag carefully... and then you can pretty much assume that if you fed that much you would be overfeeding! The manufacturers have a vested interest in us getting through food very quickly, and I know that if I fed their suggested quantities to my two, their digestive systems would not cope and runny poo would be the result. However there is nothing sensitive whatsoever about my two - they can and will eat anything and enjoy proving it - some members have experience of dogs with particular food intolerances, and they might be able to offer suggestions.

Good luck with getting it sorted, and welcome to the forum ;D
    Clare

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome :) I have Harley who is a 7 month old red fox lab too :). She has a very sensitive tummy and is on royal canin gastro food which has helped enormously. I have had to cut out all treats except chicken and rice bones at the minute as her tummy is really poorly. She is currently on chicken and rice in place of her normal food. When she is on her normal food, I only feed approx 85% of the amount of recommended amount of the packet (this includes all treats).

If it persists, I would go to the vets (Harley is currently undergoing tests due to this).

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)