7 month old lab (singleton pup) larger than most / struggles to get up

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Amber Bollom, Jan 19, 2024.

1. Amber Bollom

Amber Bollom Registered Users

Our 7 month lab (64 lbs) was having issues with his back leg (s). Took him to the vet, they checked hips - perfect condition and growth. They checked his joints, hocks ( ?) no issues. He is still having issues getting up, slow to get his footing so to speak. When he lays down he wines sometimes. Very nervous as the vet sees nothing wrong but hate seeing him like this. Do larger lab pups have growing pains? Don’t know what else to do. Ive been giving him joint supplements since the last vet visit. He gets lots of exercise as we have 5 acres. Any advice?

2. Berna

Berna Registered Users

Is the dog overweight? If so, get his weight down. Excess weight is detrimental to the joints, especially in a young dog.

Also for some reason, these issues sound perhaps neurological to me. Consult with a neurologist to check him out?

3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Maybe you are over exercising him ? It is wise to take it slowly as he is only young. If he is zooming around 5 acres, he could be overdoing it on growing limbs and sore from that ?

4. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Hi Amber. It sounds like your vet hasn't managed to reassure you that all is well with your pup. That's really stressful for you - and it's okay to tell your vet that you don't feel reassured, and ask them for more information.

Can I suggest you get take some videos of the behaviours you find worrying, like being slow to get up or whining when he lies down, and make another appointment with the vet to discuss things further, including showing them the videos. If they still aren't worried, that's great - but I would ask them to explain why they aren't worried, in language that makes sense to you. This can be hard to feel confident insisting on - but it is a reasonable request and a good vet should never mind taking the time to help you understand their decisions.

Alternatively another option might be just to get a second opinion from another vet. But again I would take some video with you - because it can be hard to get your pup to demonstrate their usual behaviours in an exciting new environment like the vet's office :)