8-month-old chocolate lab

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Stephanie Cannon, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Stephanie Cannon

Stephanie Cannon Registered Users

We have an 8-month-old, female chocolate lab by the name of Isabella. We got her at 8 weeks, and she’s been the love of our lives, but lately she has been so naughty. We are also first time dog owners and it’s definitely been a learning experience for all of us! When she wants someone to play with her or my son or husband are standing around, she starts to get aggressive and bites their hands. I don’t know if this is normal and if she is trying to get their attention to play with her, but even after they play with her, she’ll still try to nip at them!

Of course, with me being her mommy, she doesn’t do this to me very often, although at times, she wants to rough play with me, and I don’t tolerate it. At times, my husband and son put her in her kennel for a time out, but it still happens. They’ve also ignored her, turned their back on her, and have tried everything not to “reward” this bad behaviour.

Is this normal behaviour? Should we get her a bit of training? I don’t know what to do anymore, and we received a ton of snow, so it’s not yet nice here and we can’t bring her out as much as she wants, so I don’t know if she’s bored....this is so frustrating because she can be such a sweetheart, but a little brat at the same time.

Any advice you can give me would be very appreciated! We love our Isabella; it’s getting very frustrating!

Thanks so much!!

Stephanie

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It’s not unusual at all at this age. It’s her (inappropriate) way of saying ‘play with me’.

Millie was a horror for it until 12 months old.

Here is some great advice - https://www.thelabradorsite.com/excited-puppy/

Welcome to you from Mags, Tatze and Keir from Manchester UK

Tatze is my pet dog, a black Lab and she's four years old. Tatze means 'paw' in German.

Keir is my fifth Guide Dog puppy, a yellow Golden Retriever/Flatcoat cross and he's nine months old.

:hi:

3. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

8 months = adolescence
    Harley did exactly the same, growly voice, grabbed at clothing and hands because all attention is attention and the teen stage is very interesting. Harley became quite obstinant. But all in all it wasnt too bad. We found that having a toy around to give her when she because snatchy helped and once she quit the attention seeking we would go play outside. We didn't want her to get the idea that jumping up and grabbing at us got her some play. So we would give her a toy and ignore for a little bit.