8 month old puppy acting paranoid/anxious

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Sarah-jayne Jeffery, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Sarah-jayne Jeffery

Sarah-jayne Jeffery Registered Users

Hi all,
    I'm wondering if anyone can help. We got our pup at 8 weeks old and he is now 8 months old. Recently he's been acting paranoid. It first started the end of October where he was desperately trying to get out of the house, darting around and wet himself. We thought it was an early firework going off (guy fawkes 5th November in UK) but since then he's been randomly looking at the ceiling, ears back and head darting around. He does it both day and night but more on a night. Nothing has changed within the house and it's always been a noisy house as I have 2 young children. Him being anxious makes me anxious because I want him happy and settled at all times. We try to ignore or distract him when he's doing it but I don't know what else to do as I don't exactly know what caused it and why he thinks it's something in the house. Any suggestions please? Thanks

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Sarah jayne jeffrey

Have you had your dog checked by a vet since it happened?

You might not be able to see a change your home but she is sensing something. Maybe some mice have moved into the wall space.

Or she may have been frightened by a sudden loud noise when you were not there.

Although it does not work with all dogs, some do calm when you use an Adaptil diffuser.

(One of the moderators wrote an article on dogs and reacting strangely to things we can't hear, and posted a link in a thread she had written and admitted that she had finally found some members who might be really interested in it.Despite looking for 30 minutes I can't find it. I think the moderator had a major in zoology. I think the moderator's name was Sarah or Lucy. Does this ring a bell with anyone?)

3. Michael A Brooks

4. Sarah-jayne Jeffery

Sarah-jayne Jeffery Registered Users

Hi Michael, thank you for you're reply. I have ordered some adaptil so just waiting for it to arrive. He has had a vet check and they see nothing medically wrong. Our trainer also doesn't understand it and just told us to carry on with what we are doing. I did think mice but our cat isn't bothered and we've had no signs. We love in a mod-terrace property so I asked the neighbours as well and they're not aware of any vermin. Will keep an eye on things though.

Michael A Brooks likes this.
  5. Michael A Brooks