8 months, still jumping and biting

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Caro A, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Caro A

Caro A Registered Users

Bonnie is generally calm around the house with us (2 adults 2 kids), she's a little more settled around us now, she treats each of us slightly differently, knows our characters now. But, when we have guests/family over she is a total crocopup again, but a BIG one now at 8 months, she is really boisterous with visitors, jumping up and still biting!!!

Please any advice to stop this nonsense. My kids cant invite friends over, and my Mum is petite and elderly, so she gets completely overwhelmed, and thinks I have no control whatsoever. I have to separate them, and then she barks because she's not allowed to play with Nan! the more she's restricted access the worse she gets, It's so stressful.

What's the best thing to do? I've read a few articles that say I need to expose her (the dog) to this situation more so that she gets used to it. Is there anything I can do by myself to aid the process?

Thanks all, I have another thread running on table manners, ha ha you can see I'm struggling with my lovely 8 month old.

2. base28

base28 Registered Users

We have the exact problem with Luna who is 7 months, we have 5 grandchildren but Luna overwhelms them so we keep her in kitchen behind a gate. We are trying to desensitize her but it's hard work, praising behaviour you want and ignore her when she is boisterous. We try and don't talk to get until she sits with a toy then make a fuss, if she starts again we start over.

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

This really isn’t unusual at this age.

Keep persevering with your training. My Mollie was doing this up to 12 months old. She is now, just a few months later, about to qualify as a Guide Dog.

It all comes together in the end :)