8 week 1 day chocolate lab/female - 3rd day question

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by fourboyjoy, Jan 15, 2014.

1. fourboyjoy

fourboyjoy Registered Users

Hi. We got our little girl 2 days ago. She had shots and was wormed the day we got her. The first night she ate food the breeder gave us fine. She started having diarrhea but they told us to expect it with worming and shots the same day. She ate only one time the second day but drank fine. Today is the third day and she has only eaten one tablespoon of food. She is drinking fine but I'm worried she won't eat. She threw up once in her crate last night and water this morning but she had just gorged herself on water so that didn't surprise me. She hasn't thrown up in almost 12 hours but still doesn't want to eat. She was the only girl and runt of 9 puppies. Is this normal behavior after worming/shots and just adjusting or should I be worried. She's peeing good since she is still drinking. Thanks for any advice.

2. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

Re: 8 week 1 day chocolate lab/female - 3rd day question

It usually takes a couple of days for a new puppy to settle and they can go off their food whilst they get used to the new surroundings and routine. As long as she is eating a little bit and keeping that down sahe should be ok.

If she is still drinking and still wants to play a bit and be a bouncy puppy then i would not be too worried. You could ring the vet for advice if you are worried.

3. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

[​IMG]

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome. It might be worth trying her on some boiled rice and chicken. Just a few teaspoons at a time. This will help her diarrhoea and settle her tummy. It always takes a few days for them to settle in. Good luck :)

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi, just wanted to welcome you to the forum, Hattie 6 years and Charlie our rescue 3 years. Have fun with your puppy and enjoy the forum :)

6. fourboyjoy

Thanks y'all. She ate good this morning and had her first solid poo so hopefully on the up and up. Now to work on potty training. I've been home with her the entire time so far and taking her out back every 20 minutes and she still is peeing on the floors. Grrrr. Kept her crate dry last night but I took her out 5 times during the night. Every time she woke up and whined. During the day though she can go out 4 times in an hour and come in and pee. Thank goodness for no carpets. Hopefully her little bladder figures it out.

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi there and welcome. Hopefully your pup will settle down soon. What's her name? and do you know how much she weighs? Just nosey, as you say she was the little one of the litter!

8. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

[quote author=fourboyjoy link=topic=4067.msg47677#msg47677 date=1389882682]
    Thanks y'all. She ate good this morning and had her first solid poo so hopefully on the up and up. Now to work on potty training. I've been home with her the entire time so far and taking her out back every 20 minutes and she still is peeing on the floors. Grrrr. Kept her crate dry last night but I took her out 5 times during the night. Every time she woke up and whined. During the day though she can go out 4 times in an hour and come in and pee. Thank goodness for no carpets. Hopefully her little bladder figures it out.
    [/quote]

To that i would say stay outside with her until she pee's or poo's and then give her lots and lots of praise. It may taker her a while to realise that she stays outside until she has done her business then gets lots of praise.

9. fourboyjoy

Can't figure out how to add photo but her name is Marley. She has 4 Human Brothers so I've been calling her little sister. She weighs 7.8 pounds and looked tiny compared to her EIGHT brothers in the litter. She already learned to sit in 3 days. Her mom was chocolate and 80 pounds. Dad was black and 70.

10. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum, and a special welcome to Marley.

Worming tabs can upset the tummy a bit, even in older dogs. Leaving the comfort of the litter, her dam, and the only world she's known can be a bit of a shock. Have you stayed with the same food? It can take a puppy a week or so to adjust to a new food.

We had a couple of days of squitty tummy with Holly while she got used to her new world. Once she'd settled in she became a normal Lab puppy. Eat - play - sleep - eat - play - sleep - eat - play - sleep ....