8 week puppy -dealing with fleas

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Deb & Bob, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Deb & Bob

Deb & Bob Registered Users

Just brought home "Purdy" yesterday and we see tiny flea bite marks on her tummy and she is scratching. Is it safe to use flea products on such a young pup, only 8 weeks old? Thank you, Deb

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I would firstly ensure that it is fleas, rather than an allergy, mites or something else that might need a different treatment. Have you seen any fleas?
    I assume she will be going to your vet very shortly. It might be worth asking their advice.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

PS I rotated your avatar to make it the right way round :)

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

It may not be fleas. Comb her and see if you can see any little black grains, if so, pop them on newspaper and wet them, if they turn red then it is flea dirt. Best to wait until you can take her to vet Monday, or at least phone the surgery for advice.

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I would speak to the vet first before using anything. I'm surprised that the breeder didn't use a flea treatment before she left and told you what she had used. Has Purdy been wormed at the breeders?

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello there, and a very, very warm welcome to the forum!

You'll be taking her for her first vaccination soon anyway, so I'd seek your vet's advice on a suitable worming and parasite (inc fleas) programme for her (and check the red marks are from fleas, it could be all sorts of things). She'll need to continue her puppy worming and so on.

It's really best at first, I think, to have things set out by your vet and get the products that are suitable for your puppy. Once you know what you are doing, and have read up on everything, then you can make your own choices and probably buy things cheaper online than at your vet's but the advice that comes with explaining what's require is well worth the vet's consultation fee I think.

Best of luck with it.

7. Deb & Bob

Deb & Bob Registered Users

Thank you everybody. She had her first shots yesterday and I gave her the deworming pill today. I will follow Stacia's directions about checking flea dirt and if it is from fleas, with see someone on Monday. :)

drjs@5 likes this.