9 Month old issues.....HELP please!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lorj2000, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Lorj2000

Lorj2000 Registered Users

Hi, I wasnt sure where to post this as it is behavour but our choc lab is 8 months old so still a puppy and still learning......slowly ;-( We cant really complain as overall he is pretty good, recall is good although we have let it slip a bit over the last few weeks and he hasnt been as good so need to work on it. But there are a few areas we need to address and I could do with your help please. We made the mistake of when we first bought Bentley home to let him on the sofa, so now at 9 months old and 28kg (Hes a big boy!) he clambers all over the sofa all of the time. our fault, BIG mistake! Im happy for him to snooze up there but he brings his toys up and wants to constantly play up there, so we have been trying to teach him "Off" for the last couple of months but its just not happening. HELP......what do we need to be doing to wean him off once and for all., snoozing included I guess he doesnt get the yes to snoozing up there, no to anything else, playing/tops up there etc. At the time it was such a good idea, a lovely little bundle in our arms snuggled up on the sofa but now its not good! ALSO, he barks up close to us when he wants attention, usually to play etc but its after we have had playtime so he wants to continue and we say no but he gets frustrated and just gets up in our face barking SO loud....should we say No or simply ignore him? he does seem to stop after awhile when we ignore him. He gets bored very quickly, even with all the fun toys/games/walks/runs he has. First time dog owners seeking advice please!!!

2. Widgeon

Widgeon Registered Users

Re: 9 Month old issues.....HELP please!

Hi,
    My lad is just 10 months and is 30kg so I know how you feel!

Widg has never been aloud on the sofa, from the outset he has been instantly removed, told no, squirted with water, removed from the room etc etc

Up until about 3 weeks ago he would pay very little interest as long as I sat on the floor with him. We have wooden floors so have a sheet of vetbed for him to lay on)
    But just recently he's been jumping on all the time.
    He gets banished to the kitchen but as soon as he's back in, straight back on.

The only way is a total ban, at this age if you give an inch they'll take several miles!!
    He knows he's not aloud as I've only got to stand up and he leaps straight off.

Some people say its a try for dominance but I'm sure it's as simple as they find it comfy!!

With the barking, again it's a case of 'hard love' again. If he barks a sharp NO then put him in isolation for a few minutes then back as though nothing happend and play all the while he's good.

They are very trying at this age!!!

3. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: 9 Month old issues.....HELP please!

Can you gate off (with a baby gate) the room with the sofa for a while? If so, then you can let him in for short periods to lie on a designated mat or dog bed. Start with a very short period of time and build up slowly. Remove him from the room if he gets off his special place, but try to avoid that happening by only asking for very short stays to begin with. After a few weeks he'll be jumping into his own bed every time you let him in that room.