9 month old just started limping today

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Sunnytee, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Sunnytee

Sunnytee Registered Users

Hi

Of course it is the long weekend, and I live in the middle of nowhere so no vet within reach until Tuesday. She just started limping around 1 pm today after a nap, noticed nothing this morning, we went for our usually 45 minute walk, came home played fetch for 20 minutes everything seemed fine then I noticed a slight limp on her left front paw when she got up from resting. She took a nap from 1:30 to 3 and the limp was much more pronounced when she got up, but went away after a couple minutes of walking on it. I laid her down on the floor checked her paws no injury, felt her front legs up all the way from the toes to the shoulder no swelling, no tender spots, everything feels normal. but although she's not limping now she doesn't seem to want to run around like she normally does instead she's just lying around on the couch staring out the window.

I can't for the life of me think what she might have done, we have another dog she plays with but they were just playing normally this morning, during fetch she didn't slip or have an accidents I saw. Yesterday she slipped on the kitchen floor but there was no sign of injury yesterday or when we got up this am...

I'm not sure if I should be restricting her activities until I can get her to a vet... Have not had any signs of any joint issues or anything up to this point so I'm kind of at a loss... Not sure how concerned I should be... She's very active tons of energy trying to keep her down is going to be interesting if that is what's needed...

Anyone have experience with this type of thing? How worried should I be?

2. Sunnytee

Sunnytee Registered Users

Thought I'd update just in case anyone reads or has a similar problem. Went to the vet today got x-rays a full exam blood work etc. She fortunately had a strained muscle near her shoulder. A week of anti-inflammatories and restricted activity and she should be good to go. If any dog would or could pull a muscle it would be my Nova lol

They gave me a mild sedative for her for the next week. so I will have a little more luck with the restrictive activity and won't have to keep her locked in her crate for her own good the whole time

Michael A Brooks likes this.
  3. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Poor Nova. Hope she's on the mend soon.

4. BacktoBlack

BacktoBlack Registered Users

Sounds like she normally is pretty active, speaking from a recent shoulder brake I would take all precautions and keep in the crate as much as can. They are so fast even sedated you would be so upset with yourself if she made it worse. Fill the Kongs and or whatever you can but I wouldn't risk it.