9 month old lab still urinating in house

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Maverick08, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Maverick08

Maverick08 Registered Users

I have three labs. Maverick is a 10 year old yellow and the other two, Nelli and Buck are fox red siblings at age 9 months. Buck continues to urinate right before I let them out the door after they have been fed. He knows he is going outside to "Go-Pee" but before I can get the door open he is already urinating. Any help would be appreciated. The two pups have not been spayed or neutered yet.

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Maverick08

Welcome to the site

Take Buck's meal outside. Don't let him know his meal is outside. Then go and collect Buck on a lead and take him outside. Leave the other two dogs inside. Feed Buck. When he urinates outside say "Yes" and give him a treat. If he does not urinate immediately, wait outside until he does. Rinse and repeat every meal to establish a new pattern of behaviour.

Make sure you clean the smell of the urine inside with an enzyme solution.

3. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum! You might need to go back to basics with his potty training, to re-establish good habits. There is a good article on house training here, which might be of help.

Northcountrygirl likes this.
  4. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

This is key. You can just get some biological laundry detergent and water it down a lot and use that - it has enzymes in it. Sometimes people buy expensive stuff in the pet shop but bio laundry detergent is the same thing and a lot cheaper.

If your dog can smell pee, he will pee on it. Therefore you need to remove all pee smell... and dogs have great noses, much better than human noses...

If this is the only time he is toileting inside and the rest of the time he is ok, then I agree with Michael about arranging things so that it doesn't happen - feeding him just outside the door perhaps, or opening the door whilst they are eating and leading him out quickly when he's finished.

If he is having accidents at other times, then it's likely there is a larger house training issue and you'll need to do as Lucy suggests and go back to house training basics.