9 weeks growling and nipping when picking him up

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by jools, Aug 2, 2015.

1. jools

jools Registered Users

Our gorgeous pup is finding his feet :)
    He is gorgeous but definitely knows what he wants/likes and doesn't and today he has decided he doesn't want to picked up, even to go into the garden that he has asked for.
    I'm just looking for reassurance this is normal puppy behaviour! :)

Also a bit of advice re garden exercise. As he can't go out and about yet he is playing in the kitchen and garden. He loves the garden and runs like a loon. When it's dry he can be out there for 1/2 hr, 3-4 times a day. Is this too much or OK?

It's all new to us!

2. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Maybe he has a sore tummy or he's tired and doesn't want to be picked up or he's just playing! You need to be able to handle him. Just have a think about what is going on for him around the time you pick him up. I don't remember picking Chepi up much at that age. She would just follow me and the need didn't arise. Have you been picking your puppy up a lot? Try to stay confident and quietly happy so that you don't start to tense up around the issue. Lots of praise is always good; you could start this just when you stroke your puppy and don't handle him too much for a few hours.
    Regarding his garden exercise, he should stop and rest/sleep when he wants to, be careful NOT to keep him going; if he can learn to amuse himself as well as play with you then that's a good thing to learn and he will stop when he needs to.
    Some growling is just puppy play and he is maybe wanting to play with you, most of us will say that this is normal behaviour for a tiny pup so don't worry ;) just make sure he has ample rest time if he wants it. It's like bringing home your first baby isn't it :D:D

3. Jane Martin

Oh how about a photo and a name? :)

4. jools

jools Registered Users

Eric :)
    My son chose that name years ago in the hope we would one day cave in and get a puppy!

Thanks for the advise. I wonder if he possibly has a bit of a sore belly. He is a bit 'loose' today :(
    I don't think we handle him too much. Our steps into the back garden are very steep so we are picking him up to go out and come in. We've also been keeping a little daily diary to try and see a pattern in his toileting which is also helping us see a pattern for sleep times.
    He definitely has loopy time at 7pm ish!

I do think we might be entertaining him too much if that's possible! whenever he's awake we're there ready to play.

5. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

You have a normal pup. They are remarkably like children, horribly hyper active when over tired.

I smiled at Eric's loopy time at 7.00 pm. Molly's was at 6.00pm. You set your clock by it. Intrestingly she was a pup in the winter when we were on GMT and Eric is on BST.

Nowadays, at the grand old age of 22 months she has her little devil time at 6.00pm, she does things (pinching things and running away with them) that she doesn't during the rest f the day. My solution to the problem is to stick her on a lead and take her for a walk.

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

See my 'safe place' post!

Twiglet is 10 weeks old now and in full crocapup mode, it is totally normal! I have a puppy toy in my back pocket to put in her mouth when she starts nipping. I did the same with Tatze and Gypsy when they were small too. Even now, when Tatze (2 years old) gets excited, she picks up a toy :)

Loose stools can come from many places. But two common ones are meals too big and treats introduced too soon. I stick to (soaked) kibble as treats and nothing else until they are 20 weeks old. Soaked because a dry piece can very easily go down the wrong way and choke a pup, always give from below too, not above.

7. Jane Martin

I used a wooden pallet, slightly converted, as a ramp from the back door into the garden for a few months.

8. jools

jools Registered Users

Thank you for the replies :)

He seems a bit happier this afternoon.
    We have reduced his meals a little. We had increased them earlier this week so maybe it was a little bit too much.
    we have been using his meal allowance as treats until yesterday when he had some 'coachies' but only about 6 of them.

We are (hubbie is :p ) looking at making a ramp so that he can get in and out a bit easier too.

9. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi and welcome. I haven't anything much to add as there is some great advice already but it sounds as if you have a perfectly normal Labrador puppy :D. Eric must be about due for his first vaccinations so you will be able to weigh him at the vets and then work out his food quota for the day and split it between his meals. I used to take Juno into the vets every four weeks just to pop her onto the scales so that I could manage her food as she grew and try and guess what she should have and what weight she was. My best tip for feeding is to weigh out the kibble so that you can accurately give the right amount as it is very easy to overfeed a Labrador - they don't usually say no thank you

10. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Welcome to you and little Eric, definitely have a normal little pup. I don't particularly have anything to add as you have been given superb advice. Mabel also had her crazy time usually at 6pm. I'd give her something to chew e.g a carrot or her kong and place her in her crate. It's her own little den a place where she can be safe and secure, I've always had a policy that once she is in her crate she is to be left completely undisturbed . I still do this now at the rip old age of 8 months .

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hello and welcome to you and Eric. Great name :)
    Good advice already, just saying Hi!

12. jools

jools Registered Users

Thank you all. It's nice to have some reassurance.
    He has been brilliant on ​a night in his crate but he avoids it during the day.

This week I'm going to hopefully get him to realise it's a lovely safe place during the day too. And a lovely place he can nap instead of behind doors or in the middle of the kitchen floor :)

13. jools

jools Registered Users

:(
    Eric bit my husband today and didn't leave go with his 'ouch'
    He broke the skin
    Hubbie is fine but I'm gutted. He's growling too when we try to pick him up to bring him in.

Not sure if we're not giving him enough attention or too much!
    This is harder than I ever imagined :eek:

14. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It is very hard at the bitey stage, but it truly is just play at this age! The growling is play too, it just doesn't sound like it! Have soft toys handy everywhere, especially in your pockets, and be ready to put them in his mouth as soon as he starts. Give him plenty of opportunities to sleep too - they are often bitey-est when they are ready for a snooze. My Twiglet (11 weeks tomorrow) also gets crazy before she needs a poo!

15. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Try not to worry as it is typical puppy behaviour and some puppies are just more bitey than others. As Mags says always have a toy to hand ready to re-direct teeth . If Juno was a bit bitey I used to roll her toys across the floor so she could chase after it and encourage her to bring it back. Like small children, puppy behaviour tends to get worse when they are tired