9month old puppy growling at my friend

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Mightynub, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Mightynub

Mightynub Registered Users

Ok so this is strange my puppy growls at my friend when he tries to smooth him, and it happens when I'm not in the room,

The situation is my lab was a bit tired seeing as it was 10pm my friend moved his hand towards the dog and he started to wrinkle his face, then proceeded to growl.... How do I correct this behaviour? As he also growled and snapped at my dad when he tried to take a plate away from the dog after he finished licking it

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: 9month old puppy growling at my friend

When food is involved (even a clean plate) it's always best to swap it for some other item of food. Just toss a few pieces of kibble on the ground and pick up the plate. Then the dog is not losing anything - he is gaining something :) This will have a positive training effect too, as the dog learns that when you come to pick u the plate, something good will happen and he will be rewarded for being calm about it all. There is a good article about dogs and food - I will find it for you in a sec :)

When the pup growled at your friend it is hard to know what had happened exactly, or what had happened previously. First, I wouldn't leave your pup alone with anyone in future (for his own protection too) unless you're confident they've got a friendly relationship with your dog. Also, I'd gradually get your dog used to being touched all over, with lots of tasty treats being given at the same time. Start with you yourself doing this, then known friends of your pup, then other people. Start with them tossing him some treats, then, when he's wagging, progress to patting/stroking/petting/smoothing (whatever you call it in your country! :) ). Avoid the top of his head (dogs do not like being touched on the head by most people) and start with the chest and under the chin, then progress to the back (and if the dog rolls over a tummy scratch). Remember - lots and lots of treats while this is happening, and if he seems tense then stop, and do something else.

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

4. Mightynub

Cheers for the link! Will give it a read

My pup is fine with me touching him all over I can touch him where ever I want and he doesn't mind at all.... My friend use to be able to fuss him all over too, especially when he just enters the house, but last night for no reason that happened it's very confusing

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

[quote author=Mightynub link=topic=10772.msg160351#msg160351 date=1430459540]
    My friend use to be able to fuss me all over too, especially when he just enters the house, but last night for no reason that happened it's very confusing
    [/quote]

Oh, it's that kind of friend... ;)

6. Mightynub

Ha it was a typo!