A destroyer of toys!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Yvonne, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

My pup Cooper (9 months today) destroys toys in under a minute. The ONLY toys that remain standing are Kongs or Nylabones. Anything fabric, rope, with or without stuffing is destroyed in seconds. I am embarrassed sometimes when friends give him a toy and, in front of them, he demolishes it in no time.
    Toys are not cheap, by any means, and if you have to toss one out that you have just bought, it sort of takes the excitement of getting him another toy the next day! Is this normal behavior? Or do I have Cooper the Destructor on my hands?????
    Thank you......

2. Piperandb

Piperandb Registered Users

Re: A destroyer of toys!!

I hope it's normal....as that is what Piper does too. And she even chews bits off kongs. Even the black kongs which are supposedly the toughest. I only have one Kong left now, out of three. Well, almost one....the top is chewed off. I bought a Kong wobbler at the pet store. The folks there very nicely put in a couple of treats for her. Did she get them out? Oh yes! Of course! In less than five minutes! By chewing a chunk out of the wobbler. All this in the back seat of the car. Before I even left the parking lot. So I took it back inside and they asked, with great surprise, what kind of dog I had. And there she was, all the beautifulness of her, looking at them from the car window, all adorable black lab puppy.

All toys get chewed up, except antlers. Goodbye stuffies, rope toys, anything. Cheap ones from the dollar store, expensive ones from the pet store, almost free ones from the thrift store. Oh, yes, did I say doormats? Those, too. Now I give her cardboard boxes. A new one every few days.

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

My Tatze can destroy toys - but she picks and chooses which ones. Big Teddy is still intact (except his ears) and she just sucks his nose.

My problem is that, when she chews toys, she swallows the bits. So I have to be really careful to watch her and not to leave any out, except giant nylabones which seem indestructible :)

4. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Molly has been the destroyer of toys, including dare I say it a Lambie (less than 5 minutes). She has suddenly, at approaching 15 months, become much gentler with her stuff AND MINE. I might even splash out on a Christmas present for her.

5. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It is so common for puppies to chew toys and swallow bits. One of the reasons why I don't leave toys out for my dogs regardless of their age. There has been a tragic accident amongst the Clumber spaniel community just a few days ago where a six months old Clumber chewed and swallowed a beanbag inside a toy. The puppy sadly died despite emergency op trying to save her. It is so dangerous. :(

6. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

I've got a destroyer too, I seem to spend more time sewing up toys than she does playing with them, it's a shame because Betty loses out as her toys get the same treatment !

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Not one soft toy has ever lasted with Dexter and a fair few 'allegedly' indestructible ones have been binned too.im very familiar with the look of disappointment when guest bring a toy they've searched for and been told will last only for Dex to kill it within 15 mins.we have nylabone chew toys ,kongs and footballs....the kongs are the only thing he is left with unsupervised ....he wouldn't chew up a nylabone but he might break a tooth ::)

8. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Molly's a destroyer too & she's now 15 months. I have a selection of toys, including soft toys which I tie to a long cord, that I keep away from her so she only gets to play with them with me when we're out and about - we usually have one of our three daily outings as a 'play' walk.

At home she has those 'pet shop' bones, which I know a lot of people don't like, but she has to chew and so far they've done no harm. She also has a squidgy rubber ball with a slightly wheezy squeak and bumpy bits on it, which belonged to my last dog. I really wish I knew what make it is or could remember where I got it as it's brilliant - stands up to serious chewing.

[​IMG]

My last Lab had a whole selection of soft toys which he mouthed but didn't rip up so I'm hoping Molly may yet grow out of it.

9. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

We taught our last girl the "be nice" thing with her toys...and have done the same with Bella. It works great with the plush toys, if she starts to get too rough with something we give her the "be nice" one time. if she continues her attempts to rip and tear...we take the toy away and tell her she can have it back when she can be nice.

she usually then goes to find another toy - and usually it's one that she can chew on with some vigor and not get yelled at.

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=heidrun link=topic=8994.msg128384#msg128384 date=1417769214]
    It is so common for puppies to chew toys and swallow bits. One of the reasons why I don't leave toys out for my dogs regardless of their age. There has been a tragic accident amongst the Clumber spaniel community just a few days ago where a six months old Clumber chewed and swallowed a beanbag inside a toy. The puppy sadly died despite emergency op trying to save her. It is so dangerous. :(
    [/quote]

That's absolutely heartbreaking, so very sorry :'( I have removed all toys and placed them on a shelf out of reach. Thank you for the warning Heidrun, you just never know what can happen xx