A feeding question

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lozzz31, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Lozzz31

Lozzz31 Registered Users

Hi everyone! Ziggy is settling in well and seems at home already. He's getting used to the cats and is having a lovely time playing in the garden - and plenty of puppy snoozes in between excitement!

I have a question about feeding. I'm sure that has been asked before but I've had a search and can't find anything on the forums.
    Ziggy is currently having the same puppy kibble that he was being fed by the breeder and, on the back of the pack, it advises different amounts based on dog weight / type. Based on these directions, and the fact that Ziggy is around 6kg at the moment, he's getting four meals of around 22g of kibble. This seems like very little to me and I'm wondering whether it's correct. The pack information is confusing, it says:

Feeding Guide: Dog Size Daily Feed (approximate per day:( Toy up to 5kg: 40-75g, Small 5-12kg: 75- 145g, Medium 12-25kg: 145-305g, Large 25-45kg: 305-545g, Giant 45-50kg: 545-585g.

But this is kibble specifically for puppies, and I can't imagine that there are many 50kg puppies around!!
    Do you think that these guidelines are for the sizes that the puppy will eventually grow into? So that Ziggy, when he's an adult male lab, will weigh around around 30kg and should be having 305-545g each day as a puppy?

I wouldn't like to think I was starving the little fella!!

Any help / advice very gratefully received and I shall be posting some photo's of my beautiful boy (who's grown since we got him on Monday) very shortly now that I know how!!

Lorraine

2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Yes I'm pretty sure the guidelines mean the weight you expect your puppy to be as an adult.

3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Yes, agree with Joy. The feeding guide weights represent the adult weight of the dog. So according to the packet you would divide the recommended amount by how many meals per day. So Large 25 -45kg = 305 -545g take the the median value of roughly 400kg = 100g per meal.

It does also depend on the quality of the feed. I prefer to give a breed/size specific high quality kibble to pups which give the right balance of minerals to ensure good, steady growth. To me a volume weight of 400kg seems slightly on the high side, even split between 4 meals, but that is just me! :) I guess some of that kibble would be used as a treats, so probably not too bad on balance.

Lozzz31 likes this.
  4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Ziggy will be very pleased to hear he's going to be getting more food.:doug:

Lozzz31 and drjs@5 like this.
  5. Lozzz31

Lozzz31 Registered Users

Thank you for the advice! I think I might try to gradually introduce a better kibble once we've used up what we have! Ziggy will be very happy to have some more dinner! It goes so quickly!
    We bought a slow feeding bowl today but it's no good for Ziggy - he can't get the kibble out at all and gets very frustrated!!

6. Morzy13

Morzy13 Registered Users

Tia is like a little hoover out of a bowl so we bought her one of those balls with a little hole for the kibble to fall out of when she nudges it around and a Kong wobbler she loves them and so do I. They both chuck kibble out all over the garden so she gets to spend a while on the hunt for kibble she hasn't spotted straight away. Each meal takes about 15 to 20 minutes now not the 2 seconds it used to. She does chew them from the toys which is good, it gives her exercise when she eats and gives her something to do that takes some thinking and a lot of sniffing. I also hide them too sometime just by plant pots or in little piles in places about the garden She needs a little help spotting them sometimes but If I say go find them now her nose hits the floor whether it's meal time or not.

Lozzz31 likes this.