1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

A great Weekend!

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by Valkyrie, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Registered Users

Legend and I finished our 4 hunt test and received our SHR ( started hunting retriever) title. I am so proud of him. The land test was hard. The judges dropped 6 dogs on that portion of the test. I am proud of my son too. He and his dog 5 O'clock Charlie got their SHR title too!

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

That's brilliant news! Well done to you both :)

Valkyrie likes this.
  3. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

4. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

Well done! That's amazing!

Would love a rundown of what that entailed when you have a spare minute...:)

5. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Registered Users

In a UKC HRC started test a dog is required to do 2 land singles and 2 water singles. The land can be up to 60yrds and water up to 45 yrds. The test should be a moderate grass but this last test was on very long very dense grass. Once the dog got out there about 20yrds you could see them. This last land test was set up in a what we call bowl or a holler. The bird was shot out of a winger directly at the dog at about 45yrds. so he was to run straight out the problem was there was corn behind the winger and then a hill going up the other side of the bowl. No wind to help them out. Legend put up a very hard hunt as he is an air scenter dog rather than a land scenting. I was very proud he didn't give up he kept his search area small about 25yrd radius from the fall. the second mark was better it was about 52 yrds and on flat ground.