A little Millie update

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by kateincornwall, Aug 30, 2013.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Just over 8 weeks now since we rehomed our little one, seems like she has been here forever :)
    For the first couple of weeks, Millie was very anxious, understandable really as she was a stray for goodness knows how long , but as the weeks have passed , the anxieties have diminished somewhat . We started leaving her with Sam just for 10-15 mins, all good, neighbours said all quiet and no destruction either, so we slowly extended this and can now leave her for a couple of hours, which is rare but at least we know she will be good .
    Sam is absolutely rubbish as a guard dog, would let anyone in , rarely barks , Millie is not a yappy girl but she will bark when someone comes to the door which is good . She settles down early evening and stays in her bed in the sitting room overnight with Sam , she is good with other dogs as long as they dont growl at her because unlike Sam who would never ever defend himself , she would do :)
    They are great friends , they dont play all the time but most days they have half an hours play in the garden , she,like Sam adores children and eats anything with little consquence ;)
    I let her off lead after the first week or so and she hasnt legged it, yet anyway !She is quite delightful , our little ragbag , tail wags all the time , very affectionate indeed , we simply cannot understand why Millie was so cruelly dumped , they look so sweet together, out little and large :)

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: A little Millie update

I think she is absolutely perfect, a real treasure. :D :D

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Ah Kate - you deserve her, and she deserves you! A perfect match. Very happy for all of you. x

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Bless her little heart x it sounds like she's completed your household :)

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

She is such a lucky girl to have found a loving home - sounds like she is earning her keep in loving right back!

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Aw bless little Millie for being such a great girl and for Sam welcoming her into your home. They are both so very lucky to have you Kate. So, so happy for you all. Helen xx :)

7. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

millie is so lucky to be in a loving happy home, :) she sounds like a little treasure, well done big guy for looking after millie, :)
    what a team :)

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

:)
    Lovely happy story

9. Charlie_2013

Charlie_2013 Registered Users

What a lovely post ;) so nice when you read posts like this :)

10. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

She's a gorgeous girl :) Always brings a smile to hear how she is going.

11. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I agree Kate....it would be interesting to know the full story.....you can't fathom why anybody would dump such a little treasure....you have really been key in her success story,so much care and thought has gone into settling her home with you .....really pleased she ,and you all are so happy x

12. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

:D :D always love the good news stories!

13. debsie

debsie Registered Users

What a lovely post :). Little Millie sounds the perfect addition...

14. kateincornwall

Thank you for the lovely comments :)
    I truly believe that we can be guilty of too much too soon with rescues, so the training started from day one, new name to learn , a few basic commands etc . but its been worth the effort and big brother has been an invalueable assistant :)

15. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

Ah, she took the long way round to find her proper home. But so worth it to be home at last eh. What a lovely thread to read. MAde my day. I keep saying it, but we're so lucky to have them.

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Kate you were very wise as always starting as you meant to go on with Millie. We on the other hand had the very common attitude of "poor Charlie he's a rescue", oh how wrong we were :eek: Helen x

17. David

David Registered Users

That's a really heart warming picture. Millie is one lucky dog. From dumped to loved in one easy step.

18. kateincornwall

[quote author=charlie link=topic=2418.msg23606#msg23606 date=1377956030]
    Kate you were very wise as always starting as you meant to go on with Millie. We on the other hand had the very common attitude of "poor Charlie he's a rescue", oh how wrong we were :eek: Helen x
    [/quote]

Dont beat yourself up Helen, its a very common mistake , I often look at Millie , pondering her past and feeling sad for her but I dont show it . I think dogs live in the moment , yes she had something horrible happen to her and was unhappy but she isnt unhappy now . Jemima Harrison of Black Retriever X Rescue calls it Love Bombing , when you over compensate in the " poor thing " stakes, but then we find it very hard not too , when we love dogs so much xx

19. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

kate just read this with tears in my eyes :) you are amazing x