a question of size! - what size is a lab??

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by blackjack, Sep 9, 2013.

1. blackjack

blackjack Registered Users

When choosing to get a dog we were agreed we didnt want a small dog, a handbag sized dog, or a giant dog. we wanted a medium sized dog so go jack :)

however loads of people say hes big, massive or large, one small boy even said he was like a little horse! lol so im thinking i have a size perception issue as i dont see him as large. Is the dog size scale all wrong??

surely there should be more catergories, if jack is classed as large as per dog toys, leads etc then where do danes, and munsterlanders etc fall into??

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: a question of size! - what size is a lab??

Humongous ;D
    That is confusing I agree especially when they are still pups.
    And there is a wide variation in size.
    I know Lilly is just under 25 kg but a lot of the boys in particular are approaching 10 kg more than this- and not overweight for their frame etc.
    It makes it hard to get feeding quantities right too.

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I've seen Great Danes refered to as a giant breed......

I think a smaller lab would be medium sized but the bigger dogs are pretty large. Just on the forum we've seen a range of dogs from around 25 kgs to 35+ none of which would be considered to be fat. Sam(kateincornwall's dog) met Riley one day and they were obviously the same breed it just looked like I'd ordered mine in a medium and Kate had ordered an XL. So labs do vary enormously but they're all lovely :D

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

;D

5. bbrown

snap ! ;D

6. blackjack

Jack is quite tall compared to other labs we have met and is about 30kg at 9 months, hes got a lovely lean look to him, but he has the ability to be small too, like curled up on the sofa or on his chair!

All sizes and shapes labs are the best dogs ever ;D

But im sure the size scale needs looking at lol

7. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

hi jack i have a large lab, 31 kilo 8 month old, :)...to me he is tiny

8. blackjack

;D

9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Laughing at Barbaras comment about Sam and Riley , so alike in looks but size wise, well ;D ;D

Sam was weighed recently for his wormer and is now 38 kilos, but no fat on him, just that he is a very big dog with big bones and muscles , there is a massive variety in Lab sizes, but love them all :)

10. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

The Labrador breed standard gives the expected height of male and females Labradors, which is (from the UK Kennel Club http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/breed/standard.aspx?id=2048:(

Ideal height at withers/shoulder: dogs: 56-57 cms (22-22.5 ins); bitches: 55-56 cms (21.5-22 ins).

But, if you don't care about the breed standard then, yes, there is a big range. My current dog is spot on at 56cm but my previous dog was big at 61cm at the shoulder - both were/are registered, pedigree dogs from show lines.

11. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Size is in the eye of the beholder! At least that's what my boyfriend tells me ;) ;D (joke!)

to me labs are medium sized - in fact I think of them as dog size! But if I was a child they'd seem huge to me!

just back from holiday where our friends dogs are about 12 inches high and adorable - now feel I'm living with giant lumoxes!

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I always thought labs were "dog sized" too - smaller than the large collie rough and german shepherd we had alongside the (smallish) lab when I was a kid.

Then I went to puppy school in Wimbledon and realised that relative the choices of my neighbours, I have a very big dog! (He played bouncy football with the other pups, they were the football, when he was just 12 weeks old, and the trainer was very careful which other puppies were let off the lead with him...)

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Mine seems tiny at 25 kilos... but she is faster than almost any other dog around! Only the local whippet beats her! (and I dont think he'd beat her if there was a dummy to be retrieved... ::) )

14. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I think Dexter is Poppy's long lost twin!he was 24.5 kgs last Thursday and he is the fastest in the neighbourhood too ;D He's a lean but not mean running machine!For his height I have 22 inches in my head but I would have to check that .When I saw the video of Jasper the other day I realised how dinky he seems next to the larger labs......

15. lynnelogan

angela i see jasper as small, may be its because i am with him all the time :)

16. David

David Registered Users

Lady comes in at 27kG and 22cm at the withers ie small. I don't know about his height, but her brother, Milo is 38kG and seems to be huge in comparison but not an ounce of excess fat.

17. lynnelogan

aint it funny davaid they are all so much different, i think jasper is short, i will have to measure him again, :)

18. Tillydyes

Tillydyes Registered Users

[quote author=David link=topic=2498.msg25215#msg25215 date=1378904178]
    Lady comes in at 27kG and 22cm at the withers ie small[/quote]

Very small ;)

19. bbrown

[quote author=Tillydyes link=topic=2498.msg25217#msg25217 date=1378904649]
    [quote author=David link=topic=2498.msg25215#msg25215 date=1378904178]
    Lady comes in at 27kG and 22cm at the withers ie small[/quote]

Very small ;)
    [/quote]

dainty but I expect nothing less from Lady :)

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie - at last - stood still long enough for me to measure him. But he didn't stay still for long - so he is a rather imprecise about 21 inches, and 25kg @ 6.5 months.

WGT says Charlie is not going to be as big as I first thought, and reckons he'll end up about 30kg. He also said that his face "is nice and pointy for one of those show boys, are you sure he hasn't got any field in him?". (I think Charlie might be winning WGT over a bit... ;D). I don't really know the answer though, having checked Charlie's papers again there is lots of red but it's show champions. Charlie is also the spitting image of his grand mum, who looks perfect to my eye - all lab but not too heavy - so here's hoping he takes after her...