A truly awful performance

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Joy, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I completely understand, because I can be a bit obsessive about things at times too! And it isnt always the best thing for our dogs. I notice with Poppy that when we are having fun together and things are going well, then we kind of get on a bit of a high and things continue well... If I am upset and stressed, then things just go downhill...

Joy and selina27 like this.
  2. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Oh Joy, I'm so sorry to hear that you had such a bad day. It amazes me at how many dogs seem to stress in the ring. Just standing outside the ring and chatting to others on Sunday, it was interesting to hear how many people had this issue.

We have a training opportunity coming up soon that I think we will try to take part in. Some judges volunteer their time to help out on four Tuesday's in Oct/Nov. We pay a small amount to train our dog in trial conditions at the state dog centre (a lot of trials are held here). The huge advantage is that the judges help and advise you and you can take treats and toys into the ring with you! I think it might be a great chance to pick the brains of the judges and try to make being in the ring as exciting and fun as possible!

Do you know if there is anything similar near you? Do you have the chance to setup a ring where you help in the classes and do a few mock trials?

UncleBob, Joy and SwampDonkey like this.
  3. Joy

Joy Registered Users

@Emily Thank you for the sympathy! There’s no opportunity where I help train to do the kind of set-up you mean. We just hire the scout hut for two evenings a week and use the adjoining recreation ground for outside exercises. (This is open to anyone -so cricket/rugby, children, bikes, off-lead dogs etc).
    However actually I could ask someone to act as a ‘steward’ and call out the moves for me.

Hope you find your trial training set-up useful.

SwampDonkey likes this.