Accident on the floor - 3x

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Dan.NY, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Dan.NY

Dan.NY Registered Users

Potty training has been going well. My lab is now 5 1/2 months old and we have enjoyed an accident free house for quite some time now. Until about two weeks ago. I was in a spare unused bedroom that I seldom if ever go into and puppy followed me in (Not sure she has ever been in that room). Nothing of concern. I was actually checking AC vents and went about seeing if it was open/closed when suddenly at my feet, my puppy squatted down and peed. Fast forward a week ago we had guests who stayed in that room and she squatted down and peed there again. Very close to the same place in the same room. Then last night we were in the basement, where puppy has been some and she is somewhat familiar with the area. She squatted down and peed on the floor there. She was steps from the basement door outside and could have gone out.

She does not alert me as to when she needs to go, rather I let her out at fairly structured invervals. It works well but apparently something is amiss. I am not sure this is normal or she should be better than this at 5 1/2 months?? Nothing like this for at least a month and a half, maybe a bit longer. She is left alone (sadly..) during work hours and does not pee on the floor.

Any suggestions on how to stop this? Is this normal? ???

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Accident on the floor - 3x

Hello again, lovely to hear from you! I hope all is going well with your girl - give us some news if you get a moment. Are you having fun? Training going well?

On the peeing thing - well, she is still very young. I'd say it wasn't long before her age that my boy still had the very occasional accident. If she hadn't been in a room before, then it perhaps wasn't part of her "den", and so she decided to have a pee. She is still a baby, really.

If it is just isolated accidents, well, I'd say they all take their own time to fully "get it". If it becomes more frequent and problematic, then perhaps pop her to the vet to make sure there is nothing amiss in terms of infection etc. But it doesn't sound like that. Just sounds like a pup taking her time to fully get the toilet training thing. :)

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I agree with Julie,
    Lovely to hear from you. Hope all is going well otherwise.

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi :)
    I agree with Julie, I think it's because it's not 'their space'.
    Any new photos? ;)

5. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Could there have been a whiff of something from the AC that triggered her?

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hey there, nice to hear from you. It could be that old demon, generalization. Just because she knows not to pee in her den or the kitchen, doesn't necessarily mean she understands not to pee in the spare room, or in the basement… She'll get there I'm sure, but just keep an eye on her in areas of the house she is not very familiar with.

I remember one very embarrassing moment when my adult male Lab peed on the wall in the vets!!!!! :eek: