Accidents during the night

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Kelly2017, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Kelly2017

Kelly2017 Registered Users

Hi,

We recently rescued a 3 year Black Lab around a month ago and in general he has so far been an absolute dream!

Recently he has started having accidents during the night. It seemed to start when we moved him onto a different food, before this he had never had an accident. His poo went like water but now it has gone back to normal. We though that once we got to this stage or normality in his poos that the accidents would stop. But yet again he had an accident last night.

Now he only has an accident when we are asleep. He is home alone during the day between myself going to work and my mam getting home (approx 4 hours) and in this time he has never had an accident. When we are in the house he will always lets us know he needs the toilet by standing at the door or knocking the keys in the lock.

It is also not every night, he can go a few nights without any accidents

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome. Well done on rescuing him. It might be worth going back to basics with him - treat him like a puppy in terms of toilet training - set your alarm for the early hours and take him out to go, then pop him back to bed. He hasn't been with you long and may take some time adjusting fully. It can be traumatic for a dog when they are rehomed, and can be a bit scary so will need patience.

3. T Reischl

T Reischl Registered Users

You might have the vet check him out. I say that because you mentioned his poo was watery but now it has returned to normal. But maybe things are not so normal in the digestive tract?

Sounds like a really great dog btw!!!

4. Tammy Cooke

Tammy Cooke Registered Users

When you say having accidents do you mean wee or poop?
    I’d agree with T Reischl to be honest. If it isn’t happening during the day then maybe there is something not quite right with bowels/bladder.
    How long ago did you change his food? And how quick was the transition. Before you changed his food did he have accidents??