"Accidents" in the crate overnight

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Yvonne, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Hello All, not a wonderful topic but.....Cooper, my 10 month old lab, has had three "accidents" in crate overnight in the last month. He has never, ever had this problem...even when he was a little chap. I realize labs chew and eat all sorts of strange things. I know when this happens because he is standing in a corner of the crate with a guilty look on his face (well, maybe I think it is guilt but could be some other look!). I do not reprimand him, of course, and go about cleaning it up with as much positive attitude I can muster at 6:30 in the morning. I feel very bad for him....he has not had accidents in the house for months and never in his crate (until now).
    Is anyone familiar with this sort of thing happening? Have decided not to give him any more treats and Greenies (for teeth) for a couple of weeks to see if these could be the culprits. Any suggestions? Opinions? Help?
    Thank you much.

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: "Accidents" in the crate overnight

That is a shame.
    If it is a pee-ing accident might be worth checking out for a urine infection.
    If a poop, definitely sounds like an upset tum for some reason.
    Cutting back any extras might help. Also thinking back if he has had any extra-curricular munchies either in house or on a walk.
    Poor chap :(

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

This is one reason why Charlie now sleeps in the bedroom (not so he can poo in there ;D ;D ;D). From time to time he just will need to go out overnight, and is silent so can't let us know. He gets very distressed about it if he can't leave his pen but needs to poo, so now he sleeps in the bedroom so he can tell us (wet nose in the face) if he needs out.

So maybe your boy just needed a poo and couldn't let you know?

If a pee, and he had chance to go before bed, then I'd check for an infection as Jac said.

4. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

They were poo's. And it was certainly an upset tummy! Thanks....will consider the sleeping in bedroom although really didnt want to go that route originally.
    Will also go over in my mind what I gave him for treats.....that will have to go away for now.
    Thank you for your answers. Much appreciated.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

In my last ditch attempt to avoid the dog in the bedroom (I wasn't keen, OH wanted him in the bedroom) I installed a baby monitor. But it would wake me up 6 or 7 times a night as Charlie mooched around and slurped his water! ;D ;D ;D