Adaptil diffuser not working on Lab

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Roger, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Roger

Roger Registered Users

Hi,

Has anyone else had a problem with using the Adaptil diffuser. Our Roger seems not to be comfortable with it at all! We’ve plugged it outside of the loundry room where his crate is and he will not go in his cage. He wants to but as soon as he gets inside he turns around and goes back to the living room. Nothing else has changed.

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Roger

I do know from listening to a lecture from a vet/dog behaviourist that the pheromone does not work on all dogs.

Second, he seems to have anxiety to the new odour. The following is pure guess work. Why not try taking it from the area he sleeps in and put it on the far side of a large room? How is far side defined? We want to put it far away from the side of the room he frequents so that he gets a low diffused amount of the scent. Don't force him into being present in that room. Let him make the choice. The idea is to initially habituate him to a diffused level of the pheromone.

Let us know how he reacts over time.

3. Roger

Roger Registered Users

Thanks once again!
    Do you think I can plug it in upstairs but close to the stairs first to try first? As downstairs rooms are not that big and I’m worried he will not go into the kitchen or living room anymore.

4. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Good question. I don't know. One has to work out the air patterns in your home. The product info says the diffuser will cover an area of 50 to 70 square metres. If you close all the doors upstairs will the airflow be down stairs? The air pattern is going to partially depend on how your home is heated. Do you know anyone who uses an ecigarette? The vapour trail will answer the issue.

And the reason you chose a diffuser rather than a collar was?

5. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Perhaps it is just too strong right by his crate, and it's an unfamiliar smell to him?

Can you move it to another plug further away?

6. Roger

Roger Registered Users

Don’t know anyone that smokes anything really! I suppose we will try and see. Perhaps I can plug something else in what’s meant for humans and see if you can smell it at all downstairs .

Vet didn’t really give us any options. Said that the diffuser is what we’re looking for and that was it. Also Roger doesn’t wear a collar so it would be two things to get him used to...