Adult training class

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by WillowA, Feb 7, 2019.

1. WillowA

WillowA Registered Users

As the puppy classes was not available to me there is a class starting in March for adult dogs.
    Willow will 5 months old.
    This class is a workshop for trained dogs from the puppy class the next step up or untrained adults they do work with rescue dogs.
    It's will focus on loose lead walking and recall among other things I'm not sure of yet.
    I am worried my puppy will be too far behind the other dogs.
    I have been training her at home but I am not a dog trainer.
    She walks on a loose lead sometimes and is starting to sit when other dogs are aproaching but she is still in puppy brain mode and everything is a game.
    She has some recall but there is lots on house building going on a construction lorries she gets spooked and I am afraid if I let her off the lead she run off if spooked.
    We took her to a hired field and she stayed by us we also let her off a little in a field close to home but there is a steep bank with a river she went towards that so she was put back on the lead.
    She also got chased by another dog while on a flexi lead if she was loose she would have run off as she was scared of the dog chasing her.
    I am hoping these classes will help her focus on me even if she is scared.
    She sits when told she stays and leaves food until told to get it.
    She takes treats nicely now without biting your fingers off.
    She goes in her basket when told.
    She is very good and a quick learner she was sitting and waiting for treats at 8 weeks old.
    She will sit and stay while I walk away then come when I call her out on the flexI lead and has done so short periods off lead.

Jade likes this.
  2. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

It sounds as if you have given Willow a good foundation for the class you describe. Given they work with "untrained adults" I don't think you need to be worried about being behind, you won't be. It will be great experience working with other dogs around, giving you the chance to work on focus.

WillowA likes this.
  3. Jade

Jade Registered Users

I also think the class is a great idea. It will teach your pup how to behave calmly in the presence of other dogs. We took Lincoln to adult class after puppy socialization group and it it was so helpful. We can go anywhere around other dogs and he's perfectly calm. Never barks or struggles to get near them.

WillowA likes this.
  4. WillowA

WillowA Registered Users

I'm looking forward to it as we missed out on the puppy classes it will be good for both of us.
    They do positive reinforcement training.
    Looking at the videos Willow already does the recall on the long lead and off going from my hubby to me with lots of treats involved.

Jade likes this.
  5. AlliumPurpleSensation

AlliumPurpleSensation Registered Users

I took Woody to an adult class not long after we rehomed him and at 3.5 he was the oldest and most unfocused dog there so I wouldn't worry :)

Any sort of training class will help your dog learn a d you will learn to be a better doggy mum.

WillowA likes this.