Advice about Christmas trip

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Elaine06, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Elaine06

Elaine06 Registered Users

Hi all,

So I am after some advice about what to do with my puppy at Christmas. Pup arrives next week so by Christmas we will have had him a month. My husband' s family booked a surprise ski trip to Austria for Christmas for 1 week. So do I take the pup with me or I should i leave him with a friend in Berlin where I live? Which is less disruptive for the pup. The journey will be 7 hrs in total but broken up as we also have kids and then in an apartment in Austria. I hate the thought of leaving him so soon but don't want to cause him any unnecessary stress.

What do you experienced puppy owners think?

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi there, we took our puppy on holiday with us when he was 16 weeks old, and it was fine. But it was in the summer, on a farm, and he was a well-behaved, calm puppy. To be honest, I'm not at all sure that a skiing trip is the right place for a 12-week old puppy. What is he supposed to do when you are out skiing? What about the holiday apartment if he is not totally toilet trained?? I'd be looking for a good, safe alternative at home for him.

Actually, I'd be looking to cancel the trip...

3. moose.and.rubie

moose.and.rubie Registered Users

We went on a vaca after having Rubie home for about 2 months. "Luckily" she had all her puppy shots by then so could be boarded (not sure what the requirements are where you live) but we also didn't have anyone who could watch her while we were gone so we didn't have many options. Is there any chance the folks you're getting him from could watch him? Then it would be a familiar place, at least. Does your friend know how many times a day/night a 3 month old puppy must go outside ;)

4. Elaine06

Thanks,

We have to go as it is my mother in laws 60th birthday. If we take him I would not ski. I am not a keen skier so this would be a plus for me. Also my kids are in and out of ski school as they are only 5 and 7 years old so I don' ski much anyway.

Toilet training we would continue we are at home he already sits bit the door or barks when he wants out.

Thanks for your input

5. Elaine06

It will be up to date with his vaccines and I said toilet training is well underway. My friend who could take him are considering a dog so this would be a good trial run. Also her husband is a dog trainer for the police so yes they are fully aware of the work involved.

6. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

I think I would ask your husband's family for advice, did they not know you were getting him?

We took ours on holiday when she was 7 months old, it was a 5 hour car trip and she was fine, just fell asleep most of the way with a toilet break, you would need more breaks for a younger pup of course. But when you get there, you need somewhere close and secure for toileting, you would not be able to go out for meals as leaving him on his own would not be acceptable in my book and he is too young to behave appropriately in a restaurant, if allowed.

I understand your dilemma but I think taking the pup would be a bit stressful - probably for you too, on the other hand I would not leave him with someone else, but that's just me.
    Sorry not very helpful I know.

7. Elaine06

We have rented family apartments so the toilet training is not an issue..i have young kids so nights out are not an optionneither as I am strict on routines. Yes the family knew we were getting home but I guess they just did not think when making the plans...