Advice before I start

Discussion in 'Raw Feeding' started by SteffiS, Jan 31, 2017.

1. SteffiS

SteffiS Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I have considered this a lot in the past but now have decided, after reading lots of threads, and for lots of reasons, to change Ripple to one of meals per day being raw - probably breakfast. However he does have some kibble as treats for his early morning walk and this is deducted from his meal so I am looking to replace around 80g of Millie's Wolfheart for breakfast.
    He already has chicken wings, turkey neck or lamb neck as a Saturday treat so he is used to eating some raw but I am concerned about getting the proportions right.
    So, lots of (probably stupid) questions.

I won't be feeding green tripe so will I still need to add some veg as he is only having raw as part of his diet?
    I do grow quite a lot of veg so I think it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

As I already have the wings and necks are these enough for a meal or too much bone? And how much of each would he need?

In the absence of any whole fish today on the fish van I bought a salmon fillet weighing about 180g, is this a whole meal?

I know I can feed eggs, but again how many would be a meal or would they need to be mixed with something else.

I see loads of meat in the reduced section at the supermarket, I assume this would be suitable for Ripple.

The fish man told me lots of people buy smoked mackerel for their dogs, really? Is this ok?

I also have lots of tinned fish but again, as it's quite rich, I can't decide how much would be a whole meal.

Ok I'll stop the questions for now - I have read lots of stuff on line but some is only serving to make me more confused so any advice gratefully received :).

2. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi, I too have been considering feeding raw diet, I've seen a bit about it on this forum, and then the trainer who ran the force-free classes we went to recommended it and advised a book which I have bought. Is it ok to give out title here?

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Yup :)

4. selina27

ok, thanks, "Work Wonders, feed your dog raw meaty bones" by Tom Lonsdale. I expect you already know it.

5. SteffiS

Thanks, I will look into that book.

Would still love a bit more advice from forum members :).

6. selina27

Yes, I think getting started is quite daunting. I'm going to get some bones from the butcher tomorrow to see how she goes. Hope you get some more responses!

7. snowbunny

I feed a lot of raw. Maybe a third of their food. I just mix it up so there's what seems a "natural" balance - that is, if I imagined a whole animal, I feed roughly the proportions of meat, bone and organs that you'd expect to find. I don't weigh and I don't measure. I'm rather relaxed about the whole thing! So, they often have a turkey drumstick, chicken thigh, couple of chicken wings or chicken drumsticks for a meal, which are obviously quite bone-heavy, but they also get kongs stuffed with mince (beef, pork, turkey). I make dehydrated liver for treats, and when I buy chicken livers for us, they get the hearts from the pack. I feed whole raw sardines and raw eggs. But it really is a case of what feels right. I wouldn't, for example, feed a whole meal of multiple eggs. They get a whole raw egg a couple of times a week as a part of lunch.

I can't get green tripe, so don't feed it either. This doesn't mean you have to feed veg. I don't feed any specifically. I'm more of the mind that more animal products the better. I do throw them the odd carrot etc, but they're not that interested. I certainly don't go out of my way to cook veggies especially for them. Not that it's wrong to do that, it's just not something I do for my dogs.

Absolutely, meat in the reduced section will be fine for Ripple. You'll learn if there's certain things he's less tolerant to. My dogs can eat anything, but I know some don't get on with certain meats. Again, just think to yourself, does what you're feeding seem to equate more or less to the right proportions for a whole animal? So, if you're always buying belly pork, for example, because that's what's reduced, then your dog might be getting too much fat.
    It may be completely pointless, but I also make a point of saving any bits of connective tissue that we wouldn't eat. So, I just roasted a chicken today, for use in salads for lunch over the next week. Sadly, the bones are useless for the dogs, but I break off all the cartilage from the knuckles and breast bone to give to them. Probably very little nutrition left in them, but thy certainly don't turn their noses up at them :)

I haven't fed smoked mackerel because it's normally very expensive! But, on their birthday, I bought W&S a whole fresh mackerel each. They loved that :)

Tinned fish I tend to keep for kongs. I mix it in with their kibble and freeze it. Again, it's not "whole" enough, if it's, for example, tinned tuna - no bones, skin, organs etc. Tinned sardines have a bit more of everything. Oily fish is very high in calories, so you don't need a whole lot. I'm not au fait with the size of tins you have - in Andorra and Spain, fish comes in either tiny tins or massive ones!

I think, as long as you keep in mind that you want to feed proportions that roughly equate to those you'd find in a whole animal, then that's a great start. It doesn't have to be that each meal is balanced, but over the course of a week, that should be the rough picture.

Sorry, this is an essay and I really only dabble in it!

8. SteffiS

Thank you @snowbunny, that was really helpful, I hadn't even thought of stuffing kongs with mince!

I make nearly all Ripple's treats and biscuits using mince, liver or tinned fish, so he does already have these in his diet.

I get Ripple weighed every month or so, and am also an avid poo watcher ( :oops: :D) as he is so fond of eating all sorts of rubbish when we are out, so I should be able to see how he is getting on.

You've given me a lot more confidence to get started :).

snowbunny likes this.
  9. SteffiS

UPDATE - Ripple seems to be enjoying his raw food and so far no problems. I've been quite lucky at getting meat from the reduced section in the supermarket, today I got a huge pack of mixed chickens bits for around £3 that will make about 10 meals (although I suspect OH might sneak a couple of bits for himself :rolleyes: ).

I've been adding some veg to Ripple's meals and also an egg twice a week, all of this seems to be going down very well with him. He still has his kibble once a day but I would like to get the proportions of meat, veg and bone as accurate as possible.

I also got a pack of 2 lambs hearts, I know you shouldn't feed offal too often but will 1 heart be ok for a meal or is that too much offal and I should be cutting it in half?

Thanks to everyone for their advice (particularly @snowbunny ) :).

10. selina27

It's interesting to hear how you and Ripple are getting on, I did get some beef bones last week which she really enjoyed of course. I am concerned about how much to give so that she is satisfied and also, in the house, she will take whatever it is somewhere to eat it and cause a mess (don't get the idea that I am houseproud). I suppose the thing to do is dabble, like @snowbunny.

11. selina27

sorry, not an answer to your questions!

12. SteffiS

Really interesting @selina27 about taking bones elsewhere to eat them, I put Ripple's raw food in his normal bowl and he eats it from there. I was most surprised as I expected him to take it away.

13. SteffiS

Ripple had a piece of beef skirt today and some left over egg. I made the mistake of not cutting up the beef, normally he chews everything but for some reason he decided to swallow the beef whole :eek: . It hasn't come back up, I guess it will be ok - shan't do that again :rolleyes:.

14. snowbunny

Has he had a raw chicken thigh? They crunch the bones, but then swallow the entire thing whole. It's perfectly normal :)

15. SteffiS

Yes, he has had all sorts of raw chicken and also lamb chop with the bone taken out. Every other thing he has chewed, or crunched and chewed if it had a bone in - obviously he was being very delicate and has now decided just to get stuck in :D. It was quite a big bit of beef though - but I guess he enjoyed it :).